Are dyspraxics considered vulnerable ?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

Are dyspraxics considered vulnerable ?

Post by ALADDIN »

People with aspergers/ASD/autism are considered vulnerable ?

Can we say people with dyspraxia are classed as vulnerable ?

People with aspergers, autism especially, but also dyspraxia have social workers ?

What are people's opinions and thoughts on the issue ?
Catwoman42
Power poster

Re: Are dyspraxics considered vulnerable ?

Post by Catwoman42 »

I don't think you can generalise. I think it's down to the individual. I am not at all vulnerable.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I am not generalising, everyone is different.
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

I think it depends on how severe the dyspraxia is. Somewhere on the Dyspraxia Foundation website I remember reading that there were cases of young adults with dyspraxia being frustrated because they wanted to be independent, but needed to have support workers (arranged by Social Services) with them when they went out of the house, due to them having extreme difficulty crossing roads safely. So yes, it is quite likely that adults with severe dyspraxia would have a social worker supporting them. If someone isn't severely affected by dyspraxia, I wouldn't recommend him/her to involve social services, as it could cause problems if he/she wanted to have children- unfortunately, there are some very judgemental social workers out there who might be inclined to decide that someone with dyspraxia wouldn't be able to look after a child.
LilBee
Getting settled in

Post by LilBee »

Reffering to vunerable, do you mean to themselves or by others?
I don't consider myself vunerable. But some severe cases of dyspraxia also have sensory intergration disorder, which might them more vunerable. I have very strict rules between right and wrong so i think im quite cautious in everyday life!! [-( :cool:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I think dyspraxics have a strong tendency to be emotionally vulnerable. However it very much depends on the person and equally the threshold at which help/care is made available. I've been lucky enough to have had the drive/confidence to travel widely whereas some days I just want to curl up and die as I feel useless and the world and people seem so cruel!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I am verry much the same Tom there are good days as well as the bad ones and i do have the drive and confidence (if thats even what i really feel) to do things and go places.
I think dyspraxics are vulnerable but it all depends on the indervigual and the situation they are in.
The real Mr Potato Head
Saphyra
Getting settled in

Post by Saphyra »

I think they are considered as more vulnerable as others.

I experienced very often that people want to look after me as if I was a child. This stems from my insecurity I show when I want to find my way or seem to be lost, for example. Some of us are radiating this insecurity and immaturity and people tend to find that we have to be looked after.

I myself don't consider myself vulnerable anymore as I have strict rules and do not trust everybody - my social skills how to assess people are not affected and I might only make the impression of being vulnerable..
Tokis86
Getting settled in

Post by Tokis86 »

I think for most people Dysphraxia is a learning difficulty not a learning disability. It doesn't make you anymore vulnerable than being Dyslexic does (of course there are some extreme cases of Dysphraxia but as far as i'm aware these are the absolute minority). The vast majority of us are more than able to look after ourselves absolutely fine and don't need a career or any equipment to get around or anything like that etc.

I'm certainly not vulnerable.