Does this thing affect your insurance?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vincent
Getting settled in

Does this thing affect your insurance?

Post by Vincent »

I have been driving for 25 years now. At first I had a number of accidents but I believe I've got it at this stage. Accident-free for 17 years, and that's with a lot of driving.

I was diagnosed (only informally by a counsellor) 2 weeks ago at age 46. I really only have problems organising myself and motivating myself to get anything done, I've sort of got over the clumsiness which was never severe in the first place (though I could never learn to swim).

I live in Southern Ireland, so the law might be different, but I'm guessing it will be about the same.

So, questions:
(1) Do you have to declare dyspraxia to an insurance company? I mean considering I don't have a formal diagnosis even.
(2) Are they going to inflate my premium out of all proportion?

Thanks,
Vincent.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I looked at the DVLA website for medical conditions and dyspraxia (mine is mild) was one which I did not have to report....

The following page links to ther medical section for the DVLA:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/medical.aspx

The standards download page:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/medical/ataglance.aspx

Hope this helps....

PS can't comment on the insurance companies, but they do tend to jump at the chance to raise the price... :whistle:
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Sorry, now being extremely thick... just realised you live in Ireland so advice may not be helpful.... #-o
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

The DVLA do not require you to declare dyspraxia as you would any heart problems etc.
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

It is also not a requirement in Ireland, Ive asked my uncle Seamus (still living in Cork) and he said in terms of medical conditions there's no difference in what you should report between England and the ROI. So your safe, no extortionate Insurance premiums lol.

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
Osymandus
Power poster

Re: Does this thing affect your insurance?

Post by Osymandus »

I remember checking with my insurance firms and they said no , it had no affect on the premium
Kenrik
New member - welcome them!

Re: Does this thing affect your insurance?

Post by Kenrik »

One important thing to keep in mind is that sometimes by submitting claims to the insurers can disqualify you from ever being able to receive a positive or specific kind of discount. There's lots of insurers who will offer some discounts to someone who is free of being involved in any accidents for a positive amount of years.