Memory

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

agsiul
Power poster

Memory

Post by agsiul »

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve my memory. I have terrible trouble whenever I have to do interverviews or have discussion/argument with someone. Generally I write everything on a list but if I want to make the thing look casual like at an interview I can't very well walk in with a list. The same goes when i have to have a discussion with people. Some people I know have picked up on the fact that if they interupt me it throws me off my train of thought and I'll end up talking around the point and get confussed which makes me flustered. Sometimes people use that against me and I would really like to know if anyone else found a way to get around these problems.
Osymandus
Power poster

Re: Memory

Post by Osymandus »

Nothing wrong with notes in interviews ,little notes cards are great and can look professional .
The people manipulating you can be a little tricker . What you may have to learn to do is relax and slow yourself down , set the tone and pace of teh conversation . People who keep interrupting then appear rude and pushy (its works ;))

Raising short term memory is also tricky , i do use a nootropic (ALL THE NEXT BIT IS ANECDOTAL AND MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERINCE PLEASE JUDGE FOR YOURSELF AND SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE IF NEED BE !!) Piracteam , it is suposed to raise memory capacity , and brain communication no side affects .

the other way is to discover teh memory techniques that work for you .
Grackle
Regular Poster

Post by Grackle »

Practice, practice and more practice. For interviews, I write down answers to the most typical questions and then I get someone to ask the questions and I answer. I repeat this process until I'm comfortable. I tend to remember things that I hear best so hearing myself say the answers helps. You can also get honest feedback from the person helping you.

If you are going to take notes, do not write out full sentences. Just write points like "follows directions, fast typing, cash experience" and so on. I find that it's less natural if you try to memorize whole sentence plus they may ask you a similar question that you haven't prepared for and you will get frazzled. Most of all relax. We become so focused on the things that we find difficult that we tend to think that our problems are obvious.

People are often very nervous or stressed in an interview and that is taken into account. I once interviewed a young man who was so nervous that he could barely speak. When he did talk, it was very very fast. We had interviewed a number of people for the job and he got it because based on his resume and what he was able to tell us, he was the best person. He did a great job too. We may have hesitated if the job had involved doing presentations or very high stress situations. I have occasionally used the wrong word, spoken too quickly and been confused by questions. I correct myself, slow down and ask for clarification or the question to be repeated. Most experienced interviewers won't be bothered by these things particularly if you can approach it in a relaxed way. It took me a very long time but I came to realize that every interview is an opportunity to become better at doing them. Even if you don't get the job, you spent an hour (or whatever) talking to someone about your skills and learning about different jobs. Also, an interview isn't just about them wanting you but about whether or not you think that the job is for you.

Grackle
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Thanks. That's great. Thanks for all the ideas. Will get to work. Am thinking of getting a Life Coach to help with the interview skills cause my body language is just so awful that I could do with the help on that.
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

Overripe bananas. sounds crazyI know I was trawling through another sight when somebody posted a comment about his ADHD he said he takes concerta to help him while at work and he says when. he is not at work he has a couple of overipe bananas in the morning and when his children comes home he is able to concetrate and focus much better. I thought it was a wind up until I typed in do overipe bananas contain dopamine and a list came up that they do .As dyspraxics have low doses of dopamine and overipe bananas are packed with dopamine its seems logical that they might be able to help with concentration and memory.SoI tried them I thought that it did make you have a better concentration and more clear headed.I have only tried this once as I am still waiting forthe bananasto ripen. My son who also has dyspraxia and ADD dosnt know about the bananas I will give him some
in the morning and ask him tomorrow how he got on at work as he is often getting told off for forgeting things. The bananas have to goingbrown on he skin and as far as I can work outthe banana has to be overipe and become verysweet and they are then supossed to contain this chemical. cant wait to try this again .what have we got to lose worse we can say is that we have eaten an overipe banana.will get back to let you know whats happening if any body else trys this would love to hear from you.I think advocados havethe same effect when they are overipe.I hve also heard that students who are taking exams take a couple of overipe bananas and gives them more concentration and better memory.
joy
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Yuck...I don't like overripe bananas....I don't even like ripe bananas....I like them green!
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Joy - your not the only one to suggest bannanas, it has been said by somone from a axianty course that i was on that the carbohydrates in bananas can help to lower stress.
I havent heard about the other effects you suggested though.
The real Mr Potato Head