Disclosing dyspraxia in todays climate?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

amelie
New member - welcome them!

Disclosing dyspraxia in todays climate?

Post by amelie »

I am currently out of work and looking for a job. I have already sent of loads of applications and haven't had any positive response at all even for jobs that I felt I was ideal for, not even an interview. Since my diagnosis of dyspraxia I have been disclosing it on applications because I believed that it was a legal requirement to disclose any health difficulties or disabilites so I disclose my migraines and my dyspraxia. I was under the impression and I'm sure it actually says on the forms that if later issues arise relating to these problems in your employment that you didn't disclose but you knew about that you could be sacked?

I prefer to be honest and would hope that an employer wouldn't discriminate but perhaps many of them are not familier with dyspraxia and type it into google bringing up a typical sympton list might very well put them off even though most of us are not badly affected by all the symptoms and we all have our little coping mechanisims!

In todays climate, with the recession and sometimes 50+ people applying for every job makes it feel like revealing my dyspraxia is a serious disadvantage. However I know that my previous work record hasn't always been great due to my problems and while I am not seriously trying to improve I know that it is only fair that an employer knows what they are taking on if they employ me. I don't know what to do, it feels that even though I have a first class undergraduate degree and a post grad degree employers don't want to know me!
Osymandus
Power poster

Re: Disclosing dyspraxia in todays climate?

Post by Osymandus »

Legally you need only discolse it if its relevant for teh job (so say you want to be a knife thrower and your poor co-ordination). If you can do a job but have difficulties , reasonable adjustments must be made to help you .

SO in an interview the declaration is your choice , the same on a form . If it has no baring on the job , then you dont have to declare it.

Also some employers have a Disabilities symbol which means if you go for it they must give you an interview , check with your local job centre and as I mentioned before talk to the Disabilities team there . Most of that team will have a disability of some kind , and be more understanding.

You have a first class honours degree , which means your have higher intelligence then the average joe/joesphine and you can learn structures and ways or even invent them of knowing and doing a subject . Some knock backs your getting maybe are genuinely overqualified (companies do look at long term employable as well )

33% of successful self made people in business are Dyslexic's :D
amelie
New member - welcome them!

Post by amelie »

I guess I am just worried that I have no idea how my dyspraxia might effect me in a given job until I was doing it and so would rather be upfront. It is good to know about the Disabilities symbol as I feel that if I were given the interview people would see that although I have some difficulties I am actually quite a capable person.

I think I would like to work for myself eventually but I'm not ready for that just yet!
sanabitur_anima
Getting settled in

Post by sanabitur_anima »

New equality legislation has come into force. You can no longer be sacked for failure to disclose, and employers can't cask you about your health.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Failure to discoluse is new (and good :D) , I think teh other one was in teh old legislation as well ?

As much as i hate to admit it the Tories (brrr) may have been influenced enough by the Lib Dems to realise that people with disabilities just need help to get into work !!! In teh benifits change they have also left DLA alone !