In a rut because of your dyspraxia?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pomo
Getting settled in

In a rut because of your dyspraxia?

Post by pomo »

Hi ain't been on for ages...

I'm a year down the line recovering and trying to move forward after my dyspraxia prevented me doing a job i spent 4 years training in. One of the most distressing cases of it causing me to expect defeat.

I've been trying to get a full diagnosis, as my uni suspected I was more than just dyspraxic. However, everything I have tried has led me to a dead end and dissapointment. No one seems to know how to help me and I fear this is the same for everyone!?

Anyway, I am not prepared to make a bold step careerwise as I have flopped at everything I have done. My worry is that my weaknesses eventually undermind my employers confidence in me. I know about access to work, but they expect you to be the expert or respond 'ad hoc' to provide support, which is too late as I have already experienced.

My next step is seeing clynical psychologists. I'm not sure how best to outline my problems and explain what I want.
I simply want to be accessed and advised what job I can do compently, or well with the right assistance.
Anybody in a similar situation or have advise?

I'm in my mid 20s now and I'm fed up withis controlling my life. Its making me more and more isolated
gherkin001
Super poster

Re: In a rut because of your dyspraxia?

Post by gherkin001 »

DONT GIVE UP!!

Have faith in yourself, if you know you can do something, anything, then dont let anyone tell you any different. I cant read my own handwriting, but I work in admin and am GOOD at my job... I know it and finally after 7 LOOOONNNNGGG years my employer knows it too. Dyspraxia is just an obstacle to get around not a blockade that you have no choice but to down tools when you get to.

KEEP THE FAITH, DONT GIVE UP AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF AND YOUR ABILITIES!

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
pomo
Getting settled in

Post by pomo »

Thanks for taking the time to reply gherkin001 much appreciated!

Its funny cuz despite my short comings I like me and my own company, plus I have an incredibly supportive long term girlfriend that I live with.

Its just that in hindsight I can see what I have done wrong. However, I make the same mistakes over and over again. When I take the time to think before speaking or acting its too late, but when I respond in a timely fashion it is often ill judged.

In a social context in work for example, the same sort of people react to me in the same way. I understand other peoples shortcomings far too well. However, it is upsetting to see certain types of people reacting to me in identical ways. Funny enough the last two jobs my partner and I have had together she is amazed at the same types of reactions people have to me, often disdain or they discredit me as a valid contributer.

It is frustrating because I have good intentions and a lot of constructive things to offer, but certain types of people influence how others react to me. This causes me problems in the workplace that makes me an outsider or gets me into trouble with superiors.

I could challenge these people and I have, however why should I defend the way I am... every single day. People generally can not understand the complexity dyspraxia has on my character. Occupational Thearpists suggest talk to a group of colleagues, but generally I work with a lot of people and it is a difficult concept to comprehend...I struggle myself. When trying to do this it is clear people don't get it.

I am well aware that I feel far too sorry for myself. However, I believe that I have valid reason for this feeling and I worry about others that have not been as lucky as me and the impact it can have.

Personally, I feel I need to deal with this and have a method to move forward. However, I have so many issues that social interactions in the work place is the least of my concerns. It so frustrating that work has to be so personal for me, I always feel like that I have to reveal more than most to get anywhere.

Sorry to go on. I usually do much to most people's annoyance. Also, I appreciate that there are many other people in far worse situations than I. However, if I could help myself I would love to try and help others.

Just not sure what to do career wise now, be it using something from my past or going a whole new direction!?
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Think about this for a moment: What skills do you have? What interests? Think about perhaps finding a career route that combines some (if not all) of both, then you know you'll be in a job that a) you are good at, and b) that you genuinely enjoy doing. This is what I did...

My computer skills are good and I love gardening, so I am the sole administrator for a small gardening firm, no-one really looking over my shoulder all day, means I get the work done in my way without criticism, and I get to go and help out on site when we have people off sick.

Combining skills with interest is usually the best way to find a career that you enjoy and can proceed in.

Think about it, and keep your chin up.

Kirsty
sanabituranima
Getting settled in

Post by sanabituranima »

Kirsty gives some very good advice.
pomo
Getting settled in

Post by pomo »

Thanks Kirsty.

Its really good of you to get back again!

I think thats good advice and people before have suggested that being self employed would be perfect for me.

I will think about what you said and explore some ideas. I may come back to you as a sounding board if you would be kind enough to spare the occasional time. Admittedly I am not that optimistic I can think of anything that will work, but its certaInly a worthwhile exercise.
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Sound off me whenever you like, Ive always got an ear!

Kirsty
pomo
Getting settled in

Post by pomo »

Has anyone seen a clynical psychologist regarding dyspracxia and its effect in the workplace?

I've gotta appointment soon and worried that they will not be able to help me in the way I desire!

Or most probably will know nothing of the complexity of its effects!
Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Post by Magic_Lemur »

pomo wrote:
I'm in my mid 20s now and I'm fed up withis controlling my life. Its making me more and more isolated
Know *exactly* what you mean. I feel trapped in a customer service role (with RBS-Natwest) & I've been doing my best to get out of it (for 5 years) to no avail.

Every interview I go to, I balls it up & the one I didn't got buggered up over a stupid disciplinary.

I really get tired of dealing with lots & lots & lots of people & having to sell to them & I really want out.
Dyspraxia makes dealing with people really tricky & the masses are often boringly logical & don't get what I'm on about.

Trouble is I don't know I can get out & I seem doomed to serve endless queues of customers like some modern day Sisyphus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus).

Help!
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

I hate accepting the limits dyspraxia places on me! I couldn't go for a secondment recently as it involved lots of numbers and spreadsheets (I am also numerically dyslexic) My managers are very understanding (I work in the public sector and they paid for my diagnosis) My strengths are customer service and dealing with people. Hope this helps. But don't give up!!
Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Post by Magic_Lemur »

Catwoman42 wrote:My strengths are customer service and dealing with people. Hope this helps. But don't give up!!
Really interesting - I thought I was alone in that. I find it strange that I'm no natural at it (far from it) & yet sometimes it can actually be a really good job. It is also, like you say, about proving there are no limits & that we are just as good as others.

Btw, do you find it difficult to intuitively read people (i.e. grasp what they mean by certain facial expressions), or is that just me?

Since I wrote the despairing note above, there has actually been a promotion come up at work.
I'm dreading buggering up the interview or that I'll say stg stupid.
I'm up against a natural charmer, but I think I can beat him with lots of hard-work & a little luck...
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

dont give up keep on trying you will get there
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
peterkeegan
Regular Poster

Post by peterkeegan »

Pomo

go to studying and look at organistaions that make be of help.
We the willing, led by the unknowning are attempting to the impossible for the ungrateful.

We have done so much with so little that we are now experts at doing anything with nothing.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

I was stuck in IT for 11 years , life foudn a way of shunting me out ;) . Its from each of us getting ourselves assessed and accepting who and what we have that can make you relasie that the only person who knows best for us is ourselves . Its porpably why a lot of Dyslexia /Dysp others are some of the best self made buisness peopel (Richard Branson anyone , Alan Sugar ).

Its like anyone though we have to have confidence in ourselfs , and believe (but not delisuion ). Know your limits and stranghts and see what you can do with them :D