Right eyed or left eyed?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cheetarah
Getting settled in

Right eyed or left eyed?

Post by Cheetarah »

Look at the face above and decide which of the pictures below looks most like her.

'I always ran after the ball because, after all, Mary, the ball is important in a game, isn't it? until I found they didn't like me doing that because I never got near it or hit it or did whatever you are supposed to do to it.'
Narkito
New member - welcome them!

Re: Right eyed or left eyed?

Post by Narkito »

The first one, why you ask?
Icarus
Getting settled in

Post by Icarus »

This isn't at all what I thought it'd be...

My left eye focuses better, but my right one picks up more light.
''Look at these people, these human beings. Consider their potential! From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun, there is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than- no, hold on. Sorry, that's The Lion King''
-Doctor Who
Cheetarah
Getting settled in

Post by Cheetarah »

OK, I owe you an explanation.

Most people will say the first face looks most like the real person. That's because it's made of two mirror images of the left side of the face. The right hemisphere of the brain receives information from the left eye and uses it to process faces and expressions. The left hemisphere is also involved in facial recognition and decoding, but not as much- at least in most people.

I think the second picture looks much more like her so maybe I'm using my right eye and left brain. It's the same in other tests I've done of this kind. I was also a subject in a drawing and cognition research project that investigated which part of the brain people use to draw with, particularly professional artists and art students. The tests showed that people who are trained or particularly able to draw use a different part of their brain to look and make pictures than most people do.

They also found I was indeed right eyed, despite being left handed. I'm pretty good at recognising faces but not expressions and it made me wonder, did my visual ability in one part of the brain develop to compensate for weaker parts of the brain affected by dyspraxia? Could many dyspraxic and neuro-divergent people be using completely different areas of the brain to perform tasks to the areas most people use?
'I always ran after the ball because, after all, Mary, the ball is important in a game, isn't it? until I found they didn't like me doing that because I never got near it or hit it or did whatever you are supposed to do to it.'
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Um, at first I thought it was the first image that most resembled the top one, then I thought it was the second one, from looking at the position of the eye-brow. Then I realised that the first was a mirrored version of the left side the face and the second a mirrored version of the right side...so perhaps I am, er, whatever the visual equivalent of ambi-dextrous is...yes I know thats impossible.
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

i am left eyed. but right handed.
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

I may be going off topic but you comment about recognising facial expressions interests me. In most of the descriptions of dyspraxics two of the most common traits quoted are, 1. Problems with geometry and manipulating shapes and 2. Social awkwardness. Does anyone have thoughts on the following statement . Conversations with dyspraxics are often characterised by forced interjections and uneasy dialogue, this may be because dyspraxics can't process the subtle small changes in facial expression/geometry that transmit so much meaning in conversation . If this is the case formal interviews involving dyspraxics should recognise the fact.