Working as a dyspraxic in a pressured environment

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

galactic_dyspraxic
New member - welcome them!

Working as a dyspraxic in a pressured environment

Post by galactic_dyspraxic »

Hi,

Long story short, I'm currently unemployed and I recently had an interview for a job working in customer service on receiving end of calls for a major utility company

But I'm worried, it feels like the job would be too difficult for me to adjust to with time targets on phone calls etc and unusual shift patterns (some very early starts and some very late starts)

I think I did well in the interview which is making me nervous because I'm not sure I can do this kind of job at the moment.

Does anyone have any kind of advice on what I can do or say to them? I'm a bit stressed out
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Working as a dyspraxic in a pressured environment

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there and welcome

We're all unique as are our reactions to differing work environments and stressor. Not sure if you have done call centre work before, or had other office roles which involved dealing with callers?

Whether you've mentioned dyspraxia during the recruitment process so far, or not, it's probably worth thinking about what reasonable adjustments might help you and what support and training they offer generally to people they take on as call operators.

In many ways how you find it will also be signifcantly influenced by the professionalism of your supervisors and colleagues and the quality of training, support and inclusivity they offer.

While you're awaiting the outcome of your interview you could always look them up on Glassdoor which is an organisation that rates employers on how inclusive they are from a disability perspective. If you do get that job offer you can have a conversation about what they can do to help develop and support you to deliver what they need.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allyblue
New member - welcome them!

Re: Working as a dyspraxic in a pressured environment

Post by allyblue »

I think its hard to say if we can cope with high pressure environments, some thrive and others don't. That can be with or without dyspraxia. I think best thing is to be open about our disabilities and be open to ways of working differently. If you don't try you never know.

I have had some horrible work experience and worked in pressurised environment. I have always learnt something from them that benefits me. Talk to them about your concerns and see what their response is. Hope this helped