What are your experiences with Disability Employment Advisors?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Roundtuit
New member - welcome them!

What are your experiences with Disability Employment Advisors?

Post by Roundtuit »

I'd just like to know what experiences of Disability Employment Advisors people here have had. I saw one years ago who put me on a placement at a care home. When I saw what my duties would be I said I didn't think I could keep up, but she said "Well that's what it's like in the world of work". I have severe dyspraxia and am very slow at household tasks, but thought I'd give it my best shot.

Sure enough I was too slow, but the DEA said I wasn't trying and thought I had a bad attitude. I was working hard, and a friend who knows me well said that from what he knows of me (he'd lived with me) I was giving 200%. I left the DEA's office in tears, and from then on focused on getting a degree because I had a chance of achieving it. I was suicidal after that experience.

This was a very long time ago. I spoke to Mary Colley (if anyone remembers her) about the incident and she said she probably did awareness training with her :rolleyes: . Mary Colley was dyspraxic and a neurodiversity activist. She pointed out that not all work is physical and practical and seemed to think the DEA couldn't have been listening very well during the training.

I've always been most successful at jobs I chose for myself. That's a message that I'd like to put across. You know yourself and your skills better than anyone else and other people can help you but not dictate what's going to work for you. All I hear about DEA's is glowingly positive, which sometimes makes me second guess myself being as I apparently got the help most people don't get. Who else has seen a DEA? What was it like for you? Were they helpful?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: What are your experiences with Disability Employment Advisors?

Post by Tom fod »

Firstly welcome back.

I fully agree we are the foremost experts when it comes to ourselves, so should always have the ultimate call. That said having some input on what might be helpful is good and some employers tend to want to play the game and have a professional opinion, possibly to help them account for having to be more flexible???

I'd heard they were phasing out DEAs (and likely outsourcing this sort of work?). I once heard and can well believe that the role of DEA was allegedly considered a punishment posting in the Employment Service (as was). I think that's as much because your job is meant to be able to help people but DWP /Jobcentre + and society at large put many barriers between people with any kind of disability and work.

I saw one many years ago but that was in connection with him submitting ATW paperwork for a job I was doing in the mid-90s. I didn't know about my Dyspraxia then so it was all about my visual impairment and getting funding for a big screen/computer equipment for my first job as a Research Assistant with a Disability charity.

I never met Mary but I know people who did. I only came to learn about my being Dyspraxic around the time she sadly passed. I know lots of people with dyspraxia do seem to gravitate towards working in the care sector, but I don't reckon I could do it, as it's a physically and emotionally demanding profession and such people work very hard for others.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
AlexPhilip
New member - welcome them!

Post by AlexPhilip »

I am a support worker in aged care so it is similar. I used to work in manufacturing and then middle management for a while. I wanted a change and it has been a good 1. I wanted to get away from a stressful job and do something with meaning and helping the elderly. You get paid peanuts but its not always about the money. I honestly really enjoy it. Daily job involves things like showering, feeding( for those who can't feed themselves), the use of hoists to hoist residents from bed to wheelchair, medication administering, handing out meals, some activities like bingo and such. Its really worthwhile.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

My response may have caused confusion, original poster was asking about experiences with Disability Employment Advisors who you might encounter at your Job Centre and job whose role is to help you get into work.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)