Life skill courses for Dyspraxics

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CGB
New member - welcome them!

Life skill courses for Dyspraxics

Post by CGB »

Hello,
Our 25 year old son has very severe dyspraxia. We are trying to find courses he can go on to learn basic living skills so he can become more independent of us as parents. He approached the Princes Trust to see if they could help him but the courses that they run (which seem quite good), are too far away for him to travel to realistically (we live in the far SW of England in a small coastal town). He is a very intelligent lad (he has a degree in history and was well supported by his university) but lacks essential life skills coping with functioning on his own (he commuted to university from home).

Subsequent to university, he has developed depression, anxiety and low self-esteem and is utterly miserable, staying in his bedroom most of the time.

We are trying to find (a) either a local support group that could help him or (b) some kind of course he could go on to learn life skills and how to function on his own or both!

Does anybody on this forum know of such groups or people he could meet so that he knows he is not alone with his issues?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Life skill courses for Dyspraxics

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there

Regrettably I've not seen or heard of such a thing specifically for folk with Dyspraxia. A lot of the Dyspraxia Foundation and other provision for ''youth'/young' trails off at age 25.

Genius Within, Exceptional Individuals, Shaw Trust or Scope might possibly be worth looking at but I suspect most of what is on offer is Job search /application support.

Mind or a Social Enterprise offering MH support may also be worth investigating.

As someone who lived at home till I was 37 due to unfounded fears I can empathise. Dyspraxia has a terrible tendency to erode or limit our sense of self confidence.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)