Police Driver Training Query

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Paddy
New member - welcome them!

Police Driver Training Query

Post by Paddy »

Good Afternoon Everyone.

My Name is Patrick Joyce and i am a police driver training with the police in the UK. My reason for contacting you all is to seek some guidance and advice regarding dyspraxia. I have an officer coming on an Advanced Police Driving Course shortly and wanted to know how the condition affects those who have dyspraxia and are there differing degrees of dyspraxia. I have a few questions for those of you on this forum who have a good understanding of dyspraxia as follows:

1) Do people with have dyspraxia have issues with concentration and if so to what degree?

2) Are there issues with multi-tasking?

3) Does stress exacerbate the condition?

4) Does the condition impact on focus? (for instance when planning a high speed overtake)

5) Will a dyspraxic student be able t listen while multi-tasking?

Above are just a few of the questions that i would like some information on please and what teaching styles best suits a student with dyspraxia.

Any advice or guidance would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

Patrick Joyce
Police Driver Trainer
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Police Driver Training Query

Post by Tom fod »

Paddy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:24 pm Good Afternoon Everyone.

My Name is Patrick Joyce and i am a police driver training with the police in the UK. My reason for contacting you all is to seek some guidance and advice regarding dyspraxia. I have an officer coming on an Advanced Police Driving Course shortly and wanted to know how the condition affects those who have dyspraxia and are there differing degrees of dyspraxia. I have a few questions for those of you on this forum who have a good understanding of dyspraxia as follows:

1) Do people with have dyspraxia have issues with concentration and if so to what degree?

2) Are there issues with multi-tasking?

3) Does stress exacerbate the condition?

4) Does the condition impact on focus? (for instance when planning a high speed overtake)

5) Will a dyspraxic student be able t listen while multi-tasking?

Above are just a few of the questions that i would like some information on please and what teaching styles best suits a student with dyspraxia.

Any advice or guidance would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

Patrick Joyce
Police Driver Trainer
Hi Patrick

There is a a lot of variance in how people are affected and the degree to which they can pass as 'normal'.
The answer is potentially yes to all five of the above questions, but you really need to speak to and observe how this particular officer handles themselves when driving. Also, please do ask them what you can do to help them get the best from your instruction.

Dyspraxia is not something people are obliged to declare to the DVLA or insurers and many are perfectly competent drivers. There are at least a few people here who drive for a living as HGV or PSV drivers. I suspect you've had neurotypical trainees who've proved unsuitable as advanced drivers?

Hope this response is of some help and that your candidate does well.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)