New job issues

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Walker1987
New member - welcome them!

New job issues

Post by Walker1987 »

I’m new to the site , first of all it’s a great help to know I’m am not alone with some of the feelings I have . I have a diagnosis of dyslexia, which I got at the age of 40, I’m now 55. Recently I was made redundant from a nursery, due to funding ,cov19 issues where I had got on well, and enjoyed the job. I’ve always felt I have dyspraxia as well , due to coordination issues, memory ,fine motor issues etc , this is now a big problem for me as I have a new job in a baby room in a nursery and I am really struggling with the tasks and routines which are of course essential in this type of setting. The manager is saying all the right things in private to me about my difficulties I did disclose the dyslexia at interview , but I can feel the impatience on her part when I’m not able to do certain things well enough or quick enough . I honestly don’t think I will stay as its just not me with these young babies, I do not enjoy the job and feel like the rest of the team are carrying me , which I hate.
Is it worth going for a formal diagnosis for the dyspraxia ? And where do you go ? you feel like you’re dealing with things , then bam when faced with something new like a new job all the old insecurities come racing back to the surface. Many thanks for a great site , glad I found you all 😀.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: New job issues

Post by Tom fod »

Walker1987 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:25 pm I’m new to the site , first of all it’s a great help to know I’m am not alone with some of the feelings I have . I have a diagnosis of dyslexia, which I got at the age of 40, I’m now 55. Recently I was made redundant from a nursery, due to funding ,cov19 issues where I had got on well, and enjoyed the job. I’ve always felt I have dyspraxia as well , due to coordination issues, memory ,fine motor issues etc , this is now a big problem for me as I have a new job in a baby room in a nursery and I am really struggling with the tasks and routines which are of course essential in this type of setting. The manager is saying all the right things in private to me about my difficulties I did disclose the dyslexia at interview , but I can feel the impatience on her part when I’m not able to do certain things well enough or quick enough . I honestly don’t think I will stay as its just not me with these young babies, I do not enjoy the job and feel like the rest of the team are carrying me , which I hate.
Is it worth going for a formal diagnosis for the dyspraxia ? And where do you go ? you feel like you’re dealing with things , then bam when faced with something new like a new job all the old insecurities come racing back to the surface. Many thanks for a great site , glad I found you all 😀.
Hi and welcome

Obtaining a formal diagnosis as an adult is regrettably no easy task and so often GPs have few options for referring adults for assessment. Whilst diagnosis will provide you with certainty, it sadly doesn't open (m)any doors. I don't think Nannying is an easy profession but we've had quite a number of Nannys ask for help here. I think the pressure of micro management from impatient supervisors can so often be our undoing, in whatever field we work in. Also I think we have a tendency to be our own harshest critics too.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Walker1987

Post by Walker1987 »

Hi many thanks for your advice , you are spot on about micro management, this style just makes things a whole lot more stressful for me !! I’m not sure how others feel but I have a gut feeling about places ,things, events that will work or not work for me, . I have a meeting with my senior manager today see what comes of that . Thanks again .
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're welcome. I think we all tend to need a sort or elastic management. so we can call on a little additional support /advice as and when we need it. Having a culture where it's good and acceptable to ask questions makes for a better workplace for everyone.

Hope your meeting with your manager was productive.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Walker1987

Post by Walker1987 »

Hi thanks for reply, I spoke with my manager who was really Understanding of situation and realised how my dyspraxia affects me working in the room , asked me what they Could do to help me, hoping for a move to another room in nursery, they are going to see what they can do. Feel better for having had the chat with her.