Manager with Dyspraxia

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shlay1994
New member - welcome them!

Manager with Dyspraxia

Post by Shlay1994 »

Hi Everyone.

My names Ash. Two years ago I was offered the role as manager for the warehouse I was working in as a team leader at the time. I initially said no because I knew from history training would be minimal and that I would have trouble. After a few weeks of being frequently asked I eventually buckled and took the job. I’m now two years into the role and still struggle pretty much daily. Whether that’s with people management or just daily/weekly tasks. I also have a terrible memory. I forget a ridiculous amount. Which I’ve attempted various different ways of circumventing but making notes, setting reminders anything like that I still somehow forget stuff. I’m at a point where the stress I’m putting myself under has now put me on strong anti depressants (which also don’t seem to be doing anything). Anyone also in management and found the same difficulties as me? If so, what on Earth do I do? Because I’m worrying this will eventually serve to have an adverse effect on my career.
Tom
New member - welcome them!

Re: Manager with Dyspraxia

Post by Tom »

Hi Ash,
I'm self-employed but I run my own business and manage a small number of people. I too struggle on a daily basis with forgetting things. The best tool I've found for helping me is a business calendar app and note taking app. I have to be firm with myself and take down a note every single time I'm supposed to remember something. I then, at the end of the day go through my notes and categorize them to a file I have on each client/employee. I then put them into the business calendar which I can set to remind me before the day or on the day.
It doesn't always work, sometimes I still forget or sometimes I just can't be bothered.
I am lucky in that I really enjoy the majority of my work. I think it's important to enjoy your job. If you're not enjoying your work then no amount of notes is going to make things easier. Maybe think about looking into something else if this is the case for you.
You've obviously got skills otherwise you wouldn't be in the job position you're in.
Best of luck!