How do I disclose dyspraxia positively

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chosenwithlove
New member - welcome them!

How do I disclose dyspraxia positively

Post by Chosenwithlove »

Hi
I'd really like some advice please. I've had a lot of trouble in jobs due to people misunderstanding of what dyspraxia is these bad experiences caused me to lose confidence and become scared to work. Yesterday I went to an interview and have been offered the job however althoughbi mentioned I was dyspraxic they did not ask for details.

My question really is how do I explain my difficulties to the employer so they understand but also in a positive way that does not make me sound negative. Any help appreciated thank you :ghug: :ghug:
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: How do I disclose dyspraxia positively

Post by Tom fod »

Chosenwithlove wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:27 pm Hi
I'd really like some advice please. I've had a lot of trouble in jobs due to people misunderstanding of what dyspraxia is these bad experiences caused me to lose confidence and become scared to work. Yesterday I went to an interview and have been offered the job however althoughbi mentioned I was dyspraxic they did not ask for details.

My question really is how do I explain my difficulties to the employer so they understand but also in a positive way that does not make me sound negative. Any help appreciated thank you :ghug: :ghug:

Hi and Welcome

This is the 64 Million Dollar Question!

The struggle to organise our thoughts and words to tell an employer how we see things differently and with a little extra support and guidance can really be an asset to them.

Having a manager and colleagues who are inclusive and accepting and a workplace culture where it is OK to ask is so very important.

You could create a Disclosure Document that sets out points such as

Areas where you have proven ability

Your learning style

Warning signs of when you're struggling and what they can best do to help you

Coping strategies you employ and areas in which you need understanding/flexibility and some adjustment

What they can do with yourself to help you create the conditions you need to be able to shine

I did one when I first learned though I do admit I cringed the last time I tried to read it. I've pretty much always done office admin
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

I actually disclosed to HR at my new job yesterday. I'd been too nervous to during the hiring process, but some time working has put me at ease, and the feedback was very positive about my strong start.

I'm working as a QA tester for a VR company, a startup. They had a shortage of QA testers and my admittedly limited experience was still enough to impress them, and the rate at which I have learned what I need to has not been a letdown. I've actually discovered at least a bug a day so far (on a fairly complete project, so bugs are very uncommon.)

The chat I had with HR was very encouraging - I told them that being neurodiverse means I'll see things differently, which makes me a good QA tester. My early record has only strengthened that perception. So, in that sense, Dyspraxia has been and will continue to be a huge help, rather than a roadblock.

So, in that sense, if you think an aspect of a job may be helped by "thinking outside of the box", Dyspraxia could be framed as a positive. At least, that's what I think.
Chosenwithlove
New member - welcome them!

Post by Chosenwithlove »

Thank you both for your answers. They are both really helpful.

The problem I have is that my job is both physical prepping food e.t.c and mental paperwork planning e.t.c. it's particularly the physical side which I find diffcult and of course thatscyhe job everyone dislike so I have had some very bad experiences at being called lazy or suggesting "I'm trying it on". This is why this time I'm discussing before I take the job. Wish me luck thanks for the advice
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Chosenwithlove wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:39 am Thank you both for your answers. They are both really helpful.

The problem I have is that my job is both physical prepping food e.t.c and mental paperwork planning e.t.c. it's particularly the physical side which I find diffcult and of course thatscyhe job everyone dislike so I have had some very bad experiences at being called lazy or suggesting "I'm trying it on". This is why this time I'm discussing before I take the job. Wish me luck thanks for the advice
Hi

I'm guessing you must work in the care profession in some capacity? Quite a number of Dyspraxics seem to. We're caring and empathetic types and want to make a positive difference for others.

Dealing with folk who have little or no comprehension, awareness or appreciation of the things we can struggle with, despite our apparent intelligence is often very wearing. There still seems to be a perception that Dyspraxia affects intelligence, it doesn't though sometimes peoples ignorance compared with our lack of confidence and/or muddled approach can suggest this. Lazy! We are Not! We have to work so much harder!

Worth checking out the links here https://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/foru ... =14&t=7385

Feel free to ask any further questions.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)