Adapting to new areas of work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BecaLindley
Getting settled in

Adapting to new areas of work

Post by BecaLindley »

So I'm a student nurse.
When I'm on a ward, Im fantastic! Last year (as a second year) I was doing everything. People regularly thought I was a final year. :bumps: :bumps:

However, without much choice, I've been placed in a emergency department. Which (unsurprisingly) isn't a a area I'd pick. The range of conditions and the high turn over of patients is just overwhelming to me. People have asked me if Im a first year which is devastating honestly.

Next year, I will be qualifying and able to pick area that works for me. Meanwhile, I need to find new ways to cope.

I guess my question is what techniques can I use in a area without much routine? As my made coping techniques require routine and ability to pre-plan.

Failing that, any moral support would be much appreciated!!
cyram
New member - welcome them!

Re: Adapting to new areas of work

Post by cyram »

I think with anything, it takes a longer time for people with dyspraxia to adapt to a new environment. You may eventually be able to find patterns you can learn and get used to, but it takes time. I can't imagine there being much of that in your situation though. There are some fields/situations that make it especially difficult, and it's probably best to speak with a supervisor, etc to talk things through. There may be things that can be done which can help. The key (in my experience) is to be proactive.

Saying that, there are some things that are going to be unavoidably difficult which I imagine your situation is. For instance, I was a secondary teacher for a time, and constantly felt overwhelmed (before I fully understood my dyspraxia). The daily routine was constantly changing, and I couldn't understand how others could manage things so much better than I could. Once I began to understand dyspraxia, and after talking with several amazing senior teachers, I eventually switched to primary education it was a LOT easier for me to manage as there was more of a set routine. The coping mechanisms I developed while secondary teaching, however, carried over though and really helped when I switched. The time there wasn't a waste even though I felt constantly on edge.

So in short, try your best as I imagine being a student nurse, you have to meet certain stages. Get through it, but know your preferences going forward, and speak with any supervisors you may have who could help.

Not sure if this helps at all, or if it's way too late!
Jan135
New member - welcome them!

Re: Adapting to new areas of work

Post by Jan135 »

I was looking for a job for a couple of months now and I finally found one! Now I'm working as a warehouse operator, my colleagues know about my dyspraxia and they are very supportive about it. I can't say that it's a dream job, but the team is helping me as much as they can, it makes me feel that I'm one of them!