Help work and covid.

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Catann74
New member - welcome them!

Help work and covid.

Post by Catann74 »

Hi- I am a 46 year old nurse- only recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia and dyslexia after staring a uni course.

My job is a nurse educator- give me a room of people and I shine- this obviously does not now happen since covid decided to ruin our lives 😢

The other aspect to my job pre covid was face to face reviews of patients- I loved seeing my patients and making decisions about their treatment.

Now pandemic is here to stay The work I do is over the phone. I will phone them up and discuss their care.

I simply struggle so much- I can’t see the patient, they are just a name on the screen and I feel I am not doing a good job at all- my confidence is so low- this makes the situation a million times worse as my anxiety is through the roof- I don’t have any support from my partner and I can’t chat with anyone to give me the support I crave.

It’s hard to express to anyone how sometimes I just can’t think properly and my mind is so jumbled up- it makes me want to cry with my stupidity- I don’t want to be like this but can’t help it.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and how have they coped?

I worry the colleges must think I am stupid and I am rubbish at my job- the jumble in my head has been exacerbated so much since we went to new workings due to covid.

If the patient was in front of me I don’t have this problem- to a non dyspraxic this would be hard to understand.

I feel I am missing things and worried the net is closing in on me.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Help work and covid.

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

Apologies for delay in responding

I can well imagine how difficult that is. I suspect very much that you not alone and that some of your non-dyspraxic colleagues are no doubt feeling the pressure too just not to the degree you are. Equally I suspect many of your patients are not much liking it either. You need to speak to your college to tell them this is causing you concern as they do have a duty of care to you too. You're not in the least bit stupid but the feeling that you are is overpowering as stress and dyspraxia with uncertainty and change thrown in are a difficult enough cocktail to handle in 'normal times'.

Explaining Dyspraxia to a non Dyspraxic is always fraught with difficulty as it is as hard for the neurotypical to understand us as it is difficult for us to try to find the right words to explain it. wrestling with what tour diagnoses mean and who to tell and how are also a massive deal

Since being diagnosed what if any support have you been offered and who from? Access to work are potentially an option

From a practical point of view things that might help could include allowance of additional time to prepare for calls? Try to analyse what the barriers and and how you and others can help you.

Hope my acknowledgement at least proves that you're not alone.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Catann74

Post by Catann74 »

Thanks so much for the reply- yes a lot on my colleagues are feeling the strain.

Totally agree- explaining things is sooooo difficult. The irony is when I am teaching patients (pre covid) this is my niche, I could talk for hours! it’s obviously different as i am not put on the spot.

My diagnosis was a bit of a surprise- I started a university course and I was assessed- I always had the suspicion I had dyslexia. The dyspraxia was a bit of a shock- when I started to read into it I can totally see how this has hindered me all my adult life. My biggest weakness is not reading things properly/not being able to get my words out and my mind being blank/jumbled.

Therefore work only know ‘ unoffically’ . I will made a joke out of it when I kept on getting someone’s name wrong!

My biggest problem is my lack of confidence coupled with this dreadful anxiety I feel- I worry myself silly! I feel I need reassurance on a regular basis.

Thanks for the reply- it’s just a relief when you know there is someone who understands.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I get that

I can be dead certain about something then someone says something to challenge that and I'm suddenly neck deep into worried and uncertain.

Sometimes we're self-deprecating to point it starts to chip away at our confidence.

As far as explaining it, I liken it to living with a mischievous goblin alter ego. He has a fine old time throwing spanners into workings of my plans, hiding my things and making me fluff what I need to say.

We have an uneasy truce. Most of the time I outwit him with humour and good grace. Other days I just want to strangle the blighter.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
AliK

Post by AliK »

Hi
I've just newly been diagnosed as having dyspraxia with elements of dyslexia, I'm 50.
I too work in the NHS in healthcare and have really found it hard to organise my community caseload, having moved from face to face contacts in clinics and patients homes to telephone calls. I also had to change caseloads so have not any, of more than 150 patients, face to face. Those that I have had the opportunity to use a video consultation, I remember them and what their history and treatment are even months on, the others are more difficult to recall or 'picture'.
It was really helpful to read your post, as I just thought that's me! I also used to be a university lecturer and get the educator part too. I loved being in front of the class, sharing knowledge and experience, but it was planned!
I find the constant changing due to Covid difficult to cope with, my head is often jumbled and I feel that I've been under performing. It doesn't help that I returned to practice at the end of 2019 and then Covid hit us. So was getting my head around a new job at the time. I also used to work in a large teaching hospital and now in the community.
With my diagnosis and a meeting with my manager next week, I'm hoping that I can start to turn this around a bit! Is there anything that you have found to help you in your role? I hope you have been supported with changes
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

dusakan wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:47 am Recently a friend of mine got sick with COVID-19, and unfortunately, the course of the disease was deplorable. The doctors diagnosed her with dyspraxia. Now she can't even work because she has a disorder that prevents her from making her career in a relaxed manner. I decided to help her and set up a support group to help people recovering from the illness. So that the person can negotiate and continue working, this is also a motivation for her, a belief in herself. Also, on the platform [url removed], I ordered the best medicines to improve her condition somehow. I ordered on this site because I have ordered medication more than once, and I like the quality.
This is offensive and you have been warned that this forum does NOT tolerate people using it as a platform for advertising or for spreading misinformation.

You are now banned
Last edited by Tom fod on Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

MeganAustin

Post by MeganAustin »

Looking at you, I wanted to offer you the idea of ​​switching to another job profile. For example, you can remain a nurse but go to work in military hospitals or barracks. As a rule, this work is easier, so your current state of health will withstand. Also, working as a military doctor, you can get the necessary amount of medicine required to treat patients in serious conditions. However, before you get a job, you should consult a lawyer to understand the work's specifics, for this, [Illegally posted URL removed by Admin] may be useful to you. Not so long ago, I contacted lawyers for a personal company in another? legal readiness is extremely important now.
Last edited by Tom fod on Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Breach of No Advertising Rule. Poster issued with formal warning
AhmedAmah

Post by AhmedAmah »

I can understand how challenging it must be for you to transition from face-to-face interactions to phone calls due to the pandemic. It's normal to feel a bit lost and frustrated in this new setup, especially when you're used to shining in a room full of people. Remember, you're not alone in this. Many healthcare professionals have faced similar struggles during these times. Finding a support system, whether it's through online communities or reaching out to colleagues, might help alleviate some of your anxiety and provide the support you crave. Hang in there, and keep doing your best. We're all navigating through this together.
As a doctor, I always make sure to use the best equipment for my patients. I use the masks only from https://harmonycr.com/medline-astm-level-3-procedure-face-masks/. They will make you feel safer.