Should I disclose?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DraconicFires
New member - welcome them!

Should I disclose?

Post by DraconicFires »

I work in a DIY store, I have recently been finding it hard trying to do my tasks at work and im finding it hard to stay on good terms with my colledges. I often find myself forgetting how to do simple things such as what numbers to call for diffrent departments.

As well as trying to communicate with them in a way that doesnt come across as harsh, I also miswrote my shift on my calander today, causing me to miss a shift, this is due to alot of changes to it. Thanks to covid-19.

Should I tell my manager that I have this? Im scared that they wont make adjustments or understand me well when i try to explain it. and what adjustments are you able to make as a till cashier?

I am also worried that do I have any protection if they do disipline me for something as a result of my condition..? I didnt disclose it at interview because i was worried that it would effect my chances of getting the job.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Should I disclose?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there Oliver and welcome to the Forum

There is not a legal requirement to Disclose but depending on the policies of your employer and the training and attitude of your local managers the question of disclosure is always a conundrum. Have you received a welcome pack with info about what the store's/organisation's policies are? I think on balance it is better to declare so that they're aware and have the opportunity to help you to do your job well. Ultimately that is good for them too.

Reasonable adjustments that they might help you to put into place might be a laminated card with a list of the numbers you might need to call to contact each of he departments so that this is easily to hand. The laminated card option, could also include till shortcuts and other info presented in a clear and easily and quickly readable way that would be useful and might be welcomed by both new and established colleagues.
Or could these numbers potentially be programmed into the phones at each till/station.

Remember, easier for you can also equal easier for all and gain you credit and kudos.

The current Covid 19 situation means we're all having to adjust to new ways of working and that is often unsettling as if you're anything like me you like a level of certainty and stability so as not to feel out of your depth.

Hope this is a helpful response? Please say, if you still have worries or questions.
Last edited by Tom fod on Fri May 29, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improved response
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
The new luddite
Getting settled in

Post by The new luddite »

Its just personal preference but I always tend to.
I have to be fair and say employers have always been pretty good about it (well apart from one so I walked out), I've just always thought honesty was the best policy.
DraconicFires

Post by DraconicFires »

Tom fod wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:30 pm Hi there Oliver and welcome to the Forum

There is not a legal requirement to Disclose but depending on the policies of your employer and the training and attitude of your local managers the question of disclosure is always a conundrum. Have you received a welcome pack with info about what the store's/organisation's policies are? I think on balance it is better to declare so that they're aware and have the opportunity to help you to do your job well. Ultimately that is good for them too.

Reasonable adjustments that they might help you to put into place might be a laminated card with a list of the numbers you might need to call to contact each of he departments so that this is easily to hand. The laminated card option, could also include till shortcuts and other info presented in a clear and easily and quickly readable way that would be useful and might be welcomed by both new and established colleagues.
Or could these numbers potentially be programmed into the phones at each till/station.

Remember, easier for you can also equal easier for all and gain you credit and kudos.

The current Covid 19 situation means we're all having to adjust to new ways of working and that is often unsettling as if you're anything like me you like a level of certainty and stability so as not to feel out of your depth.

Hope this is a helpful response? Please say, if you still have worries or questions.
HI there thanks for your message, it was helpful. I told them and they seemed to be understanding and told me about how things work there in a way I could understand, One of my supervisors even said they knew someone with dyspraxia themseleves!
BecaLindley
Getting settled in

Post by BecaLindley »

Hi
Sorry to be late to the conversation. I recommend disclosing.

Dont get me wrong, disclosing can be scary. If you disclose you take the risk of them being not understanding or mean because of you condition. But in thst case, you have occupational health and laws to help support you. Also, it creates an opportunity to raise awareness, which will help you and others.

Hopefully they respond supportively. If they dont it likely to come from ignorance not being cruel or purposely rude. Not that this makes it feel better, but gives opportunity for raising awareness.

If you keep quiet, no one can show understanding. Nothing can be put in place to support you. And you lose the chance of raising awareness of your needs and the needs of other people.
Fi Bee Tee

Post by Fi Bee Tee »

I agree it is a good idea to disclose. It can be scary. It gives you the opportunity to discuss with
the organisation any reasonable adjustments to working conditions that would help you work effectively. Organisations often say that they value diversity as they recognise that the neurodiverse community bring a different way of working and often creative and innovative ways of responding to situations, clients etc. If they don’t get it, don’t be afraid of reminding them in the politest possible way, of course.