I messed up at work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BrotherJustin1981
New member - welcome them!

I messed up at work

Post by BrotherJustin1981 »

I'm 19 and I haven't been diagnosed to let u know but tick all symptoms, so one my jobs is to scan all the bread in as it comes through and if you miss baskets it's a big deal the manager came through and told me off, as I missed 42 baskets of bread, I don't usually do that job I'm describing, I got taken off the job and put somewhere else, the thing that got me was the manager asked me ' is their any difficulties" now I dont know if he was referring to me myself if I have a disability what do u guys think?, the production manager just says I have to focus more in an angry tone. I feel abit depressed
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I messed up at work

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again

Are the baskets coming along a conveyor and do you scan them as they come past or are you scanning stacks of them in a store room?

Of the 42 you missed how many did you successfully scan?

What instruction did you receive before starting this work and was it adequate for you?

In an unfamiliar environment, I strongly suspect I would struggle to pick this up and would feel bad too.

Being instructed to do something requiring organisation of thought and then putting that into action is often more difficult for us. It isn't beyond us but we will make mistakes and all too often we'll beat ourselves up for failing at something that doesn't necessarily come easily. Having to explain why, is difficult and some managers will not be understanding.

Hope this helps a little? Please acknowledge this response.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
BrotherJustin1981

Post by BrotherJustin1981 »

Hi! Each stow/basket contains 100 loafs and I missed 42 of them which counts at 42000 loafs, it is an easy job right enough I know what to do its repetitive, but sometimes I lose count of the ones I count, there were hundreds of stows coming out!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Actually a mere 4,200
You'd need to miss 420 to amount to 42,000.
It's monotonous and I know I would struggle with that too.

Did you have a clicker counter or some other mechanism to keep count? That could include making 4 vertical strokes and a diagonal stroke through every 5th.
Keeping a running total of number of groups at end of each line or row.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Bayliss21

Post by Bayliss21 »

Hi,

My first bit of advice would be to get yourself formally assessed. you can do this by asking your GP to provide you with details of the assessors in your area. You may / will need to pay for the assessment but a formal written diagnosis is a one-off cost and will be VERY useful in defending yourself against disability discrimination. Dyspraxia and dyslexia go 'hand in hand' and many people have both conditions. Both conditions are recognised disabilities and are protected by disability legislation.

Once you have a formal diagnosis you can approach your employer and ask them to put in place suitable workarounds to help you do your job better. They are legally obliged to do so.

Second bit of advise, dyslexia DOES NOT effect your intelligence. Remember to tell yourself this every day. It is not that you are 'lazy', or 'deliberately forgetful', 'clumsy' etc etc. You can do whatever you put your mind to but you will need to do things differently and put in place those coping mechanisms that you have used though out your life without even realising that you are doing it. Learn to appreciate your abilities and adaptability.

Third bit of advise, be open and honest about your disability and how it manifests itself. People and employers that are worth knowing will appreciate your honesty and will take account of what you tell them. Those who take advantage of your honesty to discriminate against you are not worth knowing and you are best rid of them.

I hope this little note helps you. You are only just starting out on your career and I wish you all the best in the future.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome Bayliss21

Thank You I very much agree. Please excuse my jumping in but I feel it is worthwhile adding a couple of additional points

Sadly not all GPs know much about Dyspraxia. sadly some still believe we "should have grown out of it". Some assessors are private individuals so asking your local college /Jobcentre may be more fruitful if you have the money to invest in pursuing private testing.

It's not unreasonable to say to an employer I believe I'm struggling in my role because I believe I (may) have Dyspraxia, please could you consider the following reasonable adjustments. Some Employers have good diversity/disability and inclusivity policies and will make an effort to train their local managers in these. If you have Trades Union representation they may also be able to help. Not sure I have mentioned it before but Dyslexia Association have a list of Assessors and many can/will assess for Dyspraxia and other Specific Learning Difficulties too.

You can also potentially approach Access To Work (ATW) online or via Jobcentre+) irrespective of a formal diagnosis (or not). They may be able to arrange assessment. Your employer may/will be asked to meet some of the cost. Remploy may also be able to help and may be in some cases they may be the organisation ATW bring in.

Dyspraxia equally does not affect intelligence. But so often spellcheckers don't have a clue it exists either :evilb:
Tom
Moderator/Administrator