Would Companys get benefits/money for hiring someone with dyslexia/dyspraxia

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BrotherJustin1981
New member - welcome them!

Would Companys get benefits/money for hiring someone with dyslexia/dyspraxia

Post by BrotherJustin1981 »

Hi to start off with i am 19 from the UK. I have really severe Dyslexia and Dyspraxia they are undiagnosed but also i have severe anxiety and i am struggling atm with my work. I got a 13 week placement which could lead to a job potentially in a office. i work at the front desk but as you know i struggle with remembering with speaking and with organisational skills. So why on earth would they keep someone like me? why on earth would they want to keep me on? I got into this work placement through a charity organisation. dont want to keep this long but do u think they benefit from this?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Would Companys get benefits/money for hiring someone with dyslexia/dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

They benefit from knowing they are giving you an opportunity to learn and while you're still learning, they've at least still got somebody to help out.

I'm not sure if they get a payment for helping you, but I would never begrudge howevever many pence in the pound of the tax I pay goes to helping ensure people like yourself have an opportunity to learn and move closer to getting a paid role one day.
My 2nd but first full time office job was was with a charity back in 1995 for around £120 a wk. It's never easy but learn from it and please be proud you're a volunteer.

Please keep us updated. Also grateful for a response as to whether my responses are helpful to you?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
The new luddite
Getting settled in

Re: Would Companys get benefits/money for hiring someone with dyslexia/dyspraxia

Post by The new luddite »

I don't think most places get financial reward for taking people with certain "learning difficulties" but they are encouraged by government to have a inclusive employment polices a lot of companies have quoters for the number of people with disabilities they employ and I guess it's good PR.