Please Help me! this is so important

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BrotherJustin1981
New member - welcome them!

Please Help me! this is so important

Post by BrotherJustin1981 »

So I'm 19 and I haven't been diagnosed with dyslexia or dyspraxia but I know I have them I tick all the boxes and in school they told me I have it, anyways long story short I got into a charity thing where they get youth employment and I landed myself a junior admin role and I started today only for a few hours, My short term memory is the worst honestly so bad, I forgot all the things she told me and I'm freaking out, my speech is terrible and and I have really really bad anxiety and the role requires me to go on the phone and guide them, so long story short I got asked to handle the next inbound call and i was freaking out inside so she phoned up and says her name and I think I have audio processing disorder I had to ask her to repeat herself and then after that she told me other stuff I didnt understand and I freaked out again and put her on hold and the other secretary continued the phone call, I feel like an idiot I feel clumsy I feel like I dont belong there, I can't see myself doing that job, what do u think I should do? I haven't been employed by them it's a trial 13 week placement and my first day I dont like it. What should I do? I'm supposed to give feedback to the charity supervisor to see how it went but I cant see myself being there again. It's such a pity I thought I was going into a job I liked because its admin based and I dont have any other opportunities atm college is closed, WHAT SHOULD I DO? SHOULD I ASK HIM TO LOOK FOR OTHER OPPORTUNITIES FOR ME?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Please Help me! this is so important

Post by Tom fod »

BrotherJustin1981 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:08 pm So I'm 19 and I haven't been diagnosed with dyslexia or dyspraxia but I know I have them I tick all the boxes and in school they told me I have it, anyways long story short I got into a charity thing where they get youth employment and I landed myself a junior admin role and I started today only for a few hours, My short term memory is the worst honestly so bad, I forgot all the things she told me and I'm freaking out, my speech is terrible and and I have really really bad anxiety and the role requires me to go on the phone and guide them,

so long story short I got asked to handle the next inbound call and i was freaking out inside so she phoned up and says her name and I think I have audio processing disorder I had to ask her to repeat herself and then after that she told me other stuff I didnt understand and I freaked out again and put her on hold and the other secretary continued the phone call, I feel like an idiot I feel clumsy I feel like I dont belong there, I can't see myself doing that job, what do u think I should do?

I haven't been employed by them it's a trial 13 week placement and my first day I dont like it. What should I do? I'm supposed to give feedback to the charity supervisor to see how it went but I cant see myself being there again. It's such a pity I thought I was going into a job I liked because its admin based and I dont have any other opportunities atm college is closed, WHAT SHOULD I DO? SHOULD I ASK HIM TO LOOK FOR OTHER OPPORTUNITIES FOR ME?
Hi again Justin

Your level of anxiety about this is very similar to many others' experiences. I don't think we can ever overstate the anxiety and lack of control our neurodiverse conditions cause us. Even admin which you would think would be a relatively sedate thing to do, can cause us information overload and tip us into panic. Panic tends to render our rubbish short term memory even more useless and tip us into a downward spiral of anxiety and low self-confidence. Dyspraxia and Dyslexia certainly make things make more difficult but you will find workarounds that remove the illusion of impossibility as you grow in confidence.

It seems a bit unfair to put you on phonecalls the first day but you need to stick it out as it will get better and easier as you start to see and understand the bigger picture. Please don't be afraid to say you have a learning difference and that you may need additional support and clear instructions for longer than some people. I think too often we're fearful of asking for help as we fear others will be as impatient with us as we are with ourselves.They rarely are!

Be honest about your difficulties to the Charity Supervisor and don't be afraid to say you struggle with certain things but are keen to learn and overcome and find ways to do things that work better for you but still lead to the desired outcome for you. your employer and the customer(s).

I've been driving a desk for 25 years now (I can't drive anything else) and yes there have been times where I have had full on panic about my lack of ability, I only came to the realisation it was Dyspraxia and not me being useless and thick in the last ten years. As a result it is easier as I'm a bit less hard on myself, though there is still plenty of room for improvement for me there.

Please also check out my Help Resources Post here. http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =13&t=7385

If you have any further questions or this response has left you confused, please don't be discouraged from asking more questions. So often conveying what we need help with and why is one of our biggest barriers.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)