jobcentre sanctions

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chuck
New member - welcome them!

jobcentre sanctions

Post by chuck »

My son curtis is in the process of being diagnosed for dyspraxia at the moment.He signs on at his local jobcentre which as sanctioned his payments because he has problem grasping what they say to him and also send him to work experience which he has problems with...His money is only half of his payment that he should be getting..what i would like to know is once he is diagnosed will he get his back payments...We are talking about 6 months of payments..Any help or experience would be great...thanks
Niamh

Re: jobcentre sanctions

Post by Niamh »

Your best bet would be to ask your local citizen's advice bureau or other local advice agency to advise you on this. Your local council may also have welfare rights advisers. From what I understand (I work at a money advice charity but am not a money adviser or your adviser), Curtis would need to challenge the decision https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... a-sanction. Information on how to do that can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nsions-dwp. The disability reason under the second argument on the citizen's advice page seems to apply; if he has evidence of his diagnosis and how this impacts ability to complete job centre tasks, that could be sufficient to have the decision overturned. If his appeal is successful, he will get backdated payments. A diagnosis without an appeal will not result in him getting back payments. Good luck!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Thanks Niamh

Chuck
I fear getting any back payment money out of DWP would be bloody difficult and appeals can take an inexorably long time. Hope I'm wrong on that!
Could you go with him to Jobcentre and/or have him call and ask for a mandatory reconsideration? Is he on JSA or ESA? I feel you could certainly ask them to give him instructions in writing and/or email as a reasonable adjustment.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
PiotrekPuczek

Post by PiotrekPuczek »

Sometimes I wonder whether a trip to Abu Gharib would be more dignified than being forced to do things by jobcenter for money normal people can earn in 2 hours.

And I aint even kidding with the comparison, if you swallow a red pill you likely have electrode clipped to your fingers in the real world.