Struggling in the work place

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RyRyan
New member - welcome them!

Struggling in the work place

Post by RyRyan »

I’m new to this site, I’ve known for years since childhood about my dyspraxia but in the past two years has been the only time I’ve noticed it fully, and I’ve seen how it affects me in the work place, I started a new job back end of 2019 in a kitchen and I’ve struggled meeting the standards for the kitchen manager, I never mentioned about the dyspraxia during the interview process even tho that was with the old manager

I’ve al been fearful of mentioning it to potential employers just out of fear of not getting the job, and I’d feel like I’m just making excuses for my lack of ability compared to others and I haven’t got the greatest confidence and my speech is often messed up and doesn’t come out as I intend it to, it usually comes out jumbled up, leading to lot more loss of confidence within myself,

I have always struggled being in demanding jobs involved with pace with my first/previous two jobs

The manager is wanting to transfer me to another place that’s quieter but truthfully I wanna stay but obviously if I’m
Not impressing my manager what other option have I
Got?
Any one with tips or advice on how to deal with dyspraxia in the work place?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Struggling in the work place

Post by Tom fod »

RyRyan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:02 am I’m new to this site, I’ve known for years since childhood about my dyspraxia but in the past two years has been the only time I’ve noticed it fully, and I’ve seen how it affects me in the work place, I started a new job back end of 2019 in a kitchen and I’ve struggled meeting the standards for the kitchen manager, I never mentioned about the dyspraxia during the interview process even tho that was with the old manager

I’ve al been fearful of mentioning it to potential employers just out of fear of not getting the job, and I’d feel like I’m just making excuses for my lack of ability compared to others and I haven’t got the greatest confidence and my speech is often messed up and doesn’t come out as I intend it to, it usually comes out jumbled up, leading to lot more loss of confidence within myself,

I have always struggled being in demanding jobs involved with pace with my first/previous two jobs

The manager is wanting to transfer me to another place that’s quieter but truthfully I wanna stay but obviously if I’m
Not impressing my manager what other option have I
Got?
Any one with tips or advice on how to deal with dyspraxia in the work place?

Hi Ryan and welcome. Apologies also for delay in responding.

We do tend to set ourselves very high standards that aren't really sustainable. Workplaces often seem to involve a lot of unnecessary competition when we all have same goal and can work together with our different strengths contributing to overall goal.

I imagine you might see your managers proposed plan to move you as a demotion? Is that necessarily the case?

Maybe allowing some extra flexibility in how and what you do is a better way to look at than an excuse for sub-par performance.

I safely reckon I wouldn't last a day in a commercial kitchen. The office environment I work in would be completely alien to you.

Hope this helps. Feel free to revert.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
stephaniesays
New member - welcome them!

Re: Struggling in the work place

Post by stephaniesays »

Hi Ryan,

I know how that feels as I was working in a pressured environment too - struggling to keep up and too much going on at once.

Also didn't tell work I had Dyspraxia. I only got diagnosed late as an adult. Before that I struggled but didn't know why. It was very frustrating.
I was in a design company against deadlines and it was very tough to keep up. I have ability / talent like you do I am sure, but not easy to work in the wrong conditions. Noise, pressure, stress etc

Maybe being in a less pressured and calmer /quieter area will suit you better and you will thrive in the right setting.

It has taken me years of trial and error in different jobs. I prefer working at home or in a quieter space doing one task at a time.
Meditation helps too.

I don't say anything to employers unless I feel it is right and I am in the job - given a health form to complete.

Often companies don't know about Dyspraxia or are a bit resistant to help. However things are improving and legally you have rights to reasonable adjustments at work and should not be discriminated against because of Dyspraxia.

I told HR and at first they did nothing but eventually we organised an OH assessment and some quiet space to work.
There is an employers guide to dyspraxia online and Universal music also have a guide for employers - so things are improving.

However also think just focus on your positive traits.

Working in a kitchen is full on - don't beat yourself up.
I have had people promoted over me due to being typecast. I have had people comment on how slow I am etc
However I produced quality work with no mistakes.

Now I do freelance design in my own time and work in a quieter office part-time.
It's just trial and error finding the right work place that suits you - and try not to be hard on yourself.
You have done really well to be in that job given how hectic it must be.

Focus on your talents and finding a nicer pace that suits you.

I haven't told my current employer - just said I am an artist and do things a bit differently ;)

Hope it goes well.