Should I tell a potential employer?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chaz
Getting settled in

Should I tell a potential employer?

Post by Chaz »

I got diagnosed a few days ago. I am unemployed and am looking for work. I am very borderline so it's not noticeable to anyone, apart from slightly my speech and learning time.
My mum has said not to tell any employer and my dad has said to speak to the jobcentre about it and see what they suggest.
I don't want to put any one off me and like I say, it's not noticeable and no one at my last job noticed it. The only person who has ever asked me if i had a medical condition ever is some recruitment woman who kept asking me about my speech. At the time I didn't know.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Should I tell a potential employer?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Chas

This is the $6m question.

I think it boils down to our personal preference and ability to convey the positive attributes we have as well as to be able to explaiin to a prospective employer what small adjustments we need in order to settle well and be our best.

Scope have some info /.guidance on how to broach the subject of reasonable adjustments with an employer.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Chaz
Getting settled in

Post by Chaz »

Hi.
I thought about it some more today and since the application form for the job is likely to have 'Do you have a disability?' I'm going to be honest and say yes.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Chas

Good luck with the application. It's a bit of a tricky one though it can work to your advantage as most good employers will try to be accommodating. The difficulty is some still need you to educate them about you and how they can support and get the best from and for you.

Look at some of the links in my getting help and support post in Day to Day Living.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)