I quit my job

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomrow2019
New member - welcome them!

I quit my job

Post by tomrow2019 »

Hi Guys

I just wanted a bit of advice.

I quit my job a week ago. I worked for the company for 18 months. It was a call centre job which was Monday to Friday. It was a decent paid job but I struggled to cope with the pressure of the job because of my dyspraxia getting in the way. My manager was not the nicest and she made me feel like an idiot.

I live on my own so I have to work my own finances. I told my parents today and they wern't happy, understandably so, but the way I'm being spoken to is making me feel like I'm a bad person and I can't do anything right.

After being unemployed for only a week I already have an interview on Monday. Working as a support worker for the elderly. My previous job was 40 hours a week but if I get this job I could be working 60+ hours.

I'm just worried about being able to get through to my parents. I must also point out that in my previous job I wasn't really qualified for it. It was more of a case of ''there's a job with full time hours available.'''
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I quit my job

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Tom

I don't think I could bear a call centre job, from what I've heard of them. I feel you need to be able to understand your weaknesses and be able to mitigate against them and explain with confidence that you can do a job well if they allow you the flexibility and support you need. Uncertainty about how to do things right and a bullying culture can easily turn a workplace into a place of misery and sometimes all you can do is resign and find something where you can thrive and be nurtured by decent colleagues and managers who have your back.

Good luck with your interview on Monday and remember you're also gauging what they might be like to work for.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)