Tills, Managers and starting work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

declan1802
New member - welcome them!

Tills, Managers and starting work

Post by declan1802 »

Hi i'm new on here as I didn't actually know about this forum, so not too sure how relevant this would be but was looking for a bit of help/advice or just a chat about things.

I (of course) have dyspraxia and i'm 20, its not really been an issue in school or currently with uni but I do get lost and confused at things really easily.

I recently started a new job at debenhams and I feel really overwhelmed by a lot of it, interactions with my manager so far have been really intimidating, i'd apparently made a mistake during a delivery and was told about how someone having to serve the customer affected by my error got a lot of abuse and it just affected my performance the rest of the day and I had to be I guess babysat around on what to do when there was no one to serve and I just can't work the tills at all it makes me freeze with all the different things to pick up. I haven't spoke to them about the fact I have it so might affect my performance. Even talking to customers its like I know what I want to say but it just doesn't come out coherently.

Should I mention it to them? I usually disclose it in applications even if it seems to affect my chances of hearing back but i'm nervous at what the reaction would be if i'd basically be told this wasn't for me. Also any tips for generally coping?

Thanks again!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Tills, Managers and starting work

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Declan and welcome,

I think we often have a fear of and are mortified about the idea of getting things wrong. We're often hyper-conscious that we MUST get stuff right and super hard on ourselves for even small mistakes which feeds our anxiety. Some people really put the cuss in the customer and can sadly be obnoxious to people they stupidly somehow see as beneath them. You're not! Not everyone will be horrible or impatient, but you will unfortunately meet a few.

I've not really ever had to deal with tills but I know other people here have worked in retail settings. If there is one, could you get a look at the till manual or written procedures for using them. The other thing you might do is create your own cheat sheet/card that prompts you for the various steps involved with certain tasks. That way you can revise the finer points of what is required for each function. I know that computers, and the tills they link to, can be v annoying at times and damnably counter intuitive.

Disclosing to an employer can be quite a nerve wracking business as some managers can be a bit impatient and not as open to invisible difference.That said your fierce sounding manager may be more understanding than you give him/her credit for.

Please see also http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... php?t=5184 and http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... php?t=3411.

I hope this helps, but please don't feel afraid to ask further questions if you need to.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
declan1802

Post by declan1802 »

Thanks so much for your reply! I was thinking of doing the same but it's apparently prohibited to have anything lying out at the tills so I couldn't even take notes as someone used the tills or create and have cards there. It did genuinely just leave me thinking I guess I can't do this, I want to look at getting the instructions as the training was really short especially when I find it difficult with following all the procedures even after an extended period.

Thanks for the links will read over those threads now! I might disclose to my manager tomorrow as I am meant to be in with them after the shop shuts but sitting down with them going over how much my mistake which I didn't even notice I was doing was so nerve wracking and part of me worries if I say there might be a reason for my slowness that they recommend I give it up as speed and service are part of the job.
Charles Mason

Post by Charles Mason »

Hello guys I don't know how to make a new thread so I'll post it here, I've been going through depression anxiety my whole life always comes to the point of attempting suicide, luckily enough that hasn't happened for awhile, social isolation feeling alone and not been able to connect with people, I haven't been diagnosed with dispaxer. But from what I've experienced think I may have it, when brought up I was always called clumbsy useless and I find It hard doing the smallest of things. I'd like to know what my options are is there a cure for this? I think this is the root cause of my depression and just want to be normal and social, I feel alone if around people if that makes sense... I don't go out very much and find it hard to form relationships no kids or family.. This sucks. Sorry I'm going on now, thanks in advance for your time.
reyes
Getting settled in

Post by reyes »

Well whether you have dyspraxia or not, isolation can result in severe depression. I think this is even more significant than confirming a diagnosis of dyspraxia at the moment. Are you able to seek professional help for your depression? I think this would be the first step especially if you are having thoughts of suicide. You don't mention your age or why you think you have dyspraxia, but like I said this is not as important at the moment as your getting professional help. Where do you live? I'm assuming you're in the UK (though I should not because I am not) so I'm wondering if you can go through the NHS or if you have the means to seek help privately which might be quicker. In any event, once you're connected with a therapist you an then pursue testing options to determine whether or not you have dyspraxia. We are here to help and offer support. I'll let one of the moderators know to put your posting in a better place where it is more likely to be seen by more people
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Charles Mason wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:57 pm Hello guys I don't know how to make a new thread so I'll post it here, I've been going through depression anxiety my whole life always comes to the point of attempting suicide, luckily enough that hasn't happened for awhile, social isolation feeling alone and not been able to connect with people, I haven't been diagnosed with dispaxer. But from what I've experienced think I may have it, when brought up I was always called clumbsy useless and I find It hard doing the smallest of things. I'd like to know what my options are is there a cure for this? I think this is the root cause of my depression and just want to be normal and social, I feel alone if around people if that makes sense...

I don't go out very much and find it hard to form relationships no kids or family.. This sucks. Sorry I'm going on now, thanks in advance for your time.

Hi there

Don't worry about having tagged on to end of another post. The button for new thread isn't always as apparent with troubles and worries on your mind. I've felt alone in a room full of people before now too. You're not worthless or useless. It's quite common for us to hear even constructive criticism from others and repeating it to reinforce our own low opinion of ourselves

You don't say where you are so sorry if this is a bit too general. Happy to tailor it more to your situation if that helps. Send me a private message if you prefer.

I'm terminally single too and expectations of our family, friends society and ourselves can definitely drag us down same as our self perveived inability to get anything right.

There's no cure per se, but talking to others here and getting help from a GP or counsellor is the first step. Asking for admitting you need help is difficult but you've taken first step coming here and reaching out for help/advice.

Will aim to respond again tomorrow evening but do please look at some of our resources and links: http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =13&t=7385
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

declan1802 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:46 pm Thanks so much for your reply! I was thinking of doing the same but it's apparently prohibited to have anything lying out at the tills so I couldn't even take notes as someone used the tills or create and have cards there. It did genuinely just leave me thinking I guess I can't do this, I want to look at getting the instructions as the training was really short especially when I find it difficult with following all the procedures even after an extended period.

Thanks for the links will read over those threads now! I might disclose to my manager tomorrow as I am meant to be in with them after the shop shuts but sitting down with them going over how much my mistake which I didn't even notice I was doing was so nerve wracking and part of me worries if I say there might be a reason for my slowness that they recommend I give it up as speed and service are part of the job.

Hi again Declan

I would be similarly stumped and when I don't understand what I'm meant to be doing I tend to worry and faff.

It's in their interests to allow you the time and flexibility to learn at your pace as I know you care and if they give you
They need to allow some flexibiliry if they want to get the best from you the training and respect they'll get your loyalty, determination.and enthusiasm

Might a pocket sized laminated card (or cards) on a lanyard or in your pocket be a viable alternative?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Wookie998

Post by Wookie998 »

Hey first of all I'll just say if you are a new sraff member and you are getting abuse from a manager for doing something wrong they are not managing you right. Talking to managers in work situations is always scary I found but in work in a bar and go for drinks with th and staff after work and joke around that has really helped me but managers are there to point stuff out if you are doing something wrong not give abuse, I supervise now and I still get **** from managers but as long as they do it in a civil way honestly its okay I've been there a year and a half and I still don't know everything I run a barback team so I'm the lowest supervisor but they should not give you abuse I know from training plenty of new staff you can get pissed off at them but you don't slate them for it you say what they have done wrong you be as nice and honest as you can be and tell them how to change it stick in there mate ask other staff members what to do before you go to managers they are genealogy more understanding and helpful I never used to know how to change a beer keg when I first started a bartender showed me a year later he forgot and I showed him honestly try to make friends with the people you work with helps so much