Dyspraxia, Job Interviews and Driving

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

michael
Getting settled in

Dyspraxia, Job Interviews and Driving

Post by michael »

I don't drive because of my dyspraxia. The city I live in is very congested, with tiny little one way streets, and many detours, etc. I recently had a couple of interviews for part time jobs both of which are within walking distance of my home and are accessible by public transport. In each case they required a second interview which is quite far from my home. With the last interview which was very successful and took over an hour, I was then informed that a second interview would be required at an office that is far from my home and not accessible by public transport. I'd have to take two buses and then walk about a mile to get there. The cost for an Uber would be about $50.00 round trip. I think this is not reasonable for a part time job with no benefits. I'm interviewing for a job in my neighborhood, not East Jibip. I've been through this before, but this time I decided to pass. I feel like if they want to subject me to a second interview, the people involved should accommodate me and come to the location for which I am interviewing, not the other way around; particularly for a part time job without benefits. Am I being unreasonable??
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia, Job Interviews and Driving

Post by Tom fod »

michael wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:52 pm I don't drive because of my dyspraxia. The city I live in is very congested, with tiny little one way streets, and many detours, etc. I recently had a couple of interviews for part time jobs both of which are within walking distance of my home and are accessible by public transport. In each case they required a second interview which is quite far from my home. With the last interview which was very successful and took over an hour, I was then informed that a second interview would be required at an office that is far from my home and not accessible by public transport. I'd have to take two buses and then walk about a mile to get there. The cost for an Uber would be about $50.00 round trip. I think this is not reasonable for a part time job with no benefits. I'm interviewing for a job in my neighborhood, not East Jibip. I've been through this before, but this time I decided to pass. I feel like if they want to subject me to a second interview, the people involved should accommodate me and come to the location for which I am interviewing, not the other way around; particularly for a part time job without benefits. Am I being unreasonable??
Hi Michael

I don't think you are! Is declaring you aren't a driver a no no when employing for jobs in the US? Could you negotiate an interview held locally
Are their any provisions under US Law for reasonable adjustment?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
michael
Getting settled in

Post by michael »

well there would be no need to declare that you don't drive if you're applying for a job that doesn't require travel of any type. In my job there is no travel unless you're a mobile therpaist who works with the elderly or people who are home-bound which I would never do. For these types of jobs, there are no accommodations, and I understand that. In these cases the people who interview you don't tell you that the second interview is inaccessible by public transport so I think in the future I will simply have to ask in advance. For this particular job, I have declined the invitation to attend their second interview. I expect they will ask why eventually and I will simply tell them I don't drive. If they ask about uber, I will simply tell them that the cost is extremely high and if they wish to pay for it, then perhaps I'll consider it. Otherwise, no. I think I'm just frustrated because this has happened so often. The Americans With Disabilities Act only provides accommodations for full time employees, not job applicants.Even if you are a full time employee, employers often don't like it when you make use of accommodations you're entitled to. They will often find ways to retaliate, so one must be careful. Some employers make huge accommodations for blindness and deafness, and parapalegics, but dyspraxia is not usually big on anyone's list unfortunately. Thanks for asking and thanks for the empathy it is always much appreciated.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're welcome.

Sometimes people surprise you in a good way so may be it is worth asking. If they are d&*ks about it, at least you know not to waste any more time pursuing employment with them.

We have the Equality Act and whilst Dyspraxia is covered, people often don't feel able or have the energy to stand up for their rights. Sometimes you need to choose your battles.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
RenegadeDyspraxic
Getting settled in

Post by RenegadeDyspraxic »

Hi,
I don't think you are being at all unreasonable. Mind you this is the first time that I have heard of a part time job requiring more than one interview. :banana:

Seriously however, i assume (without being offensive) that you don't have much expendible cash. In this case, paying a large sum of money which you don't really have to spend on something which you might not even get, than you are right to not take it further.

If you haven't already, you could tell your potential employers about your issues and perhaps see if they are willing to make special arrangements: perhaps hold your second interview at the same place where you had your first.

Anyhow don't worry you aren't not being unreasonable and good luck with finding a job.
Are you on Facebook? If so then why not sign up to the Dyspraxia Support Group, where you can chat with fellow Dyspraxics at https://www.facebook.com/groups/294976028092912/
michael
Getting settled in

Post by michael »

Thanks so much. I think I'm just angry because in two separate cases, interviewers have expected me to travel long distances to interview twice for a job whose actual location is right in my neighborhood. These jobs are also independent contractor positions, not full time salaried positions. they certainly don't pay big bucks either, only about $35.00 per hour ( I have no idea what that comes to in pounds I think about 16 or 17 pounds ) which is really nothing for the type of work I do, and the credentials it requires (master's degree, license, certification,etc.) I really feel resentful that everyone just assumes that everyone drives instead of asking if it would be an imposition or impossibility for you. Sorry that this has turned into such a rant but sometimes dyspraxia makes normal life so much harder than it already is. I do want to say that I really, really appreciate the responses and the support I've gotten from this site. Thank you all so very much; much appreciated.
michael
Getting settled in

Post by michael »

Tom,
I took your advice and told the interviewer about my dyspraxia and not driving. Surprise! They didn't surprise me. Go up to bum*ucksville for the next interview at your own expense or no chance of getting the job. The Interview isn't until next month so I have time to think about it. can't decide right now, but I may have to do it. We'll see.It was worth the shot though, glad I at least tried.
michael
Getting settled in

Post by michael »

I just thought I'd update everyone on my job hunt situation. I've since had some new job interviews which I have felt were more respectful with regard to my credentials and experience. There were no requirements for second group interviews ( these are just part time hourly jobs without benefits) and the decision to take them or not was left up to me by one of the employers. She was really nice and basically told me that while she would love to have me work for her, that it didn't make much sense for me because I could work for myself and make more. but she left the decision up to me. It was a real eye opener because I so often have such poor self esteem that I don't see my own self worth, and most people who see an opportunity to exploit you will pick up on low self esteem and exploit the hell out of it. I think a lifetime of dyspraxic mishaps and failures probably does a number on most us, and I just think we could all benefit from reality checks with regard to our self worth. We so often sell ourselves short