New Job

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MarkT
New member - welcome them!

New Job

Post by MarkT »

Hi. Advice required. Was working in rail job-made redundant after 17 years. Currently working in a travel insurance job, it's very handy as it's only a short walk from my house, the people are really lovely - but the wages etc are non existant. So, had been looking for a new job. Managed to find one, which seemed ok on the days of the interview and a try out, so I handed in my notice here. New job's in London so means going up by train, one hours journey each way (anxiety in itself).... Job seemed to tick all the boxes at the time, and I have told them about my dyspraxia, but having checked their background on review sites, am now regretting accepting the new job and resigning the old one. Anyone else here been in a similar position, and what did you do?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: New Job

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Mark and welcome.

It can take a while to getting used to a job and new colleagues and change is always a bit of a scary thing as it’s a step into uncertainty.

19 years ago I left a job I quite liked for one with better prospects but I don’t think It was for much more money, it may have been less at first. I can’t say I enjoyed it at first as it was finance and not an area I was truly confident in, but looking back now it was the right move as still with same employer but have changed roles several times and been promoted twice.

So what are the reviews saying? Are the people who wrote them necessarily being objective? Could they be disaffected ex employees wanting to score a point or two?

Can’t say I’d be thrilled with prospect of an hour long commute into London but my commute is a lot easier since I was able to get my own place. I only need to get one not two and previously three buses, whenever my car share lift was unavailable.

If you have fears look for ways to allay them. Please let us know how it goes. Wishing you all the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
michael
Getting settled in

Re: New Job

Post by michael »

For me transitions are always really difficult. I would give it some time to see if it gets an easier. It sounds like you can always go back to the previous job.