organisational skills and dyspraxia

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

elenaki37
New member - welcome them!

organisational skills and dyspraxia

Post by elenaki37 »

Hi guys,

This is my first time on the forum.
I have been diagnosed with dyspraxia but I opened up to my boss three months ago. I am waiting to have an assessment.
My job asked me for a one to one meeting on Monday due to the fact that I some paperwork was missing. I am confident that I did the paperwork but I think that I did not have a good filing system. I have always struggled with organisational skills.

My question is how do I explain this to my boss without sounding that dyspraxia is an excuse?

Thank you
Helen
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: organisational skills and dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

'Id probably take the line that you sincerely believe you did the paperwork but it is likely you regrettably misfiled it elsewhere.

Is there any way to narrow down what other files you worked on that day?

Hoping this is just one blip or are you being seen as source of a lot of things being mis-filed or missed?

We can all make errors and since we have to think much harder it hurts a lot more being picked up on things like this as we tend to just doubt ourselves even more which is often paralysing!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
michael
Getting settled in

Post by michael »

This is just a question, but are there any accommodations that you are entitled to? I don't think there's much you can do but be honest with them, remembering that one of there main concerns will be how they can insure that this never happens again.
elenaki37
New member - welcome them!

Post by elenaki37 »

Hi everyone

Thank you for your answers.
I have asked for reasonable adjustments so I am waiting for a telephone call from the Occupational Therapist.
I believe this is one time off- as I have never mislaid papers anywhere.
I think that I will go to the meeting tomorrow and I will owe to my mistake and provide a solution.

Thank you
Helen
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Helen

Hope your meeting goes well. Everyone makes occasional mistakes (non Dyspraxic people included) so please don't be too hard on yourself for this lapse.

I find I have to be careful as I will too often try to do too many things at once. Take care and please let us know how it goes.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)