Occupational health?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PQ85
New member - welcome them!

Occupational health?

Post by PQ85 »

Hi,

I am not sure where to go here... I'm an Occupational Therapist and have been working an a busy acute ward for this past 3 months (recent graduate).
I am having considerable difficulty completing the required number of assessments per day, devising treatment plans, keeping a tab on all the different patients who need seen. I feel completely overwhelmed and stressed out by this.

I had considered 'declaring' my dyspraxia to the employer upon accepting the job but chose not to for 2 reasons:

- I have always been able to 'work around' my difficulties and have developed strategies to cope in work school (where I got reasonable adjustments). However, I find that I am completely lost in this (fairly alien) environment and don't really think my strategies apply.

- My educational psychology report states that 'DCD is probable', I'm not sure if this counts as a diagnosis?

My GP has advised that I go down the occupational health route. However, I just want to be clear in my head if:

- I can be penalised for not having declared previously my 'disability' (I didn't consider it a disability at the time of application, only now, in my current work environment)
- Do I, in fact have dyspraxia? Neither my GP nor the educational psychology report explicitly state that I have dyspraxia (maybe I'm being a bit pedantic here?)... if it helps, it does state that I experience "a range of mild specific learning difficulties".

I appreciate any help/advise you may be able to offer. Thanks! :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Occupational health?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

I think it often depends on who performed your DCD Assessment. Obtaining a formal diagnosis esp in adulthood is v much a lottery and medical and educational professionals can’t seem to agree about Dyspraxia.

There is no legal obligation to disclose and many don’t, Despite fact employers are not allowed to discriminate a great many choose not to for varying reasons including a sketchy/unconfirmed diagnosis.

I agree with your GP in that I think the occupational health may be best chance. Generally the NHS does not seem to have clear pathways for paediatric diagnosis let alone that for adults. If you speak to your management and/or inform Occ Health that you’re struggling they should discharge their duty of care and look at potential reasonable adjustments, possibly via Access to Work. Are you working in NHS? And/or are you a Union member?

Do feel free to ask more questions here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
PQ85
New member - welcome them!

Post by PQ85 »

Hi Tom,

Apologies for the late reply! Thank you for your advice - it was hugely helpful and also hugely appreciated.

I work in the public sector, I contacted my union who also advised me that I was best declaring as it would give me protections under the disability discrimination act and also, not to worry about having not previously declared dyspraxia. I declared my dyspraxia to my line manager today and she seemed quite understanding (I think I was maybe worrying too much about this) and has applied for an occupational health assessment.

Feels like I've got the ball rolling, tired of people assuming I'm 'slow' and lazy. Hopefully the Occupational health assessment will go well!

Again, apologies for the late reply. Thanks for your help!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're v welcome. Thanks v much for letting us know. I found I had a lot of fears about how people would react (it's scary) I find I can try to do too much once and then freeze over a myriad of uncertainties.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)