Any of the UK citizens here ever went to a Jobcentre Plus?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Unsolved
Getting settled in

Any of the UK citizens here ever went to a Jobcentre Plus?

Post by Unsolved »

At https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/faqs/ they recommend you to go to a Jobcentre Plus if you're having problems with jobs. I'm not a citizen of the UK so I've never been to a Jobcentre Plus(I'm a Malaysian btw :) ) Did any of you go to a Jobcentre Plus and what jobs did they recommend are best for people with Dyspraxia? I've been trying to get jobs as a Copywriter,Receptionist and Gym staff and have failed at all attempts. If I cannot get employed here under a boss who knows and understands my situation, I might consider migrating no matter how difficult it is. But is that really the right thing to do?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Any of the UK citizens here ever went to a Jobcentre Plus?

Post by Tom fod »

People probably have a wide range of experiences and I strongly suspect that 90%+ of Jobcentre+ staff would say apply anything you feel qualified for.

Despite having a common condition we're all different and different jobs present different challenges including having to cope with uncaring and dismissive colleagues and managers.

The DF's advice is unfortunately not that comprehensive though their Dyspraxia A Hidden Asset book downloadable from their site is quite good. Check out other posts here but also www.dyspraxialifemagazine.co.uk,
the Dyspraxic Doctor also has some good resources on her site as do Scope.
Understand your strengths and look for strategies to overcome your difficulties
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Unsolved
Getting settled in

Post by Unsolved »

Tom fod wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:31 am People probably have a wide range of experiences and I strongly suspect that 90%+ of Jobcentre+ staff would say apply anything you feel qualified for.

That's not really helpful advice from the Jobcentre who is supposed to help out the Dyspraxsics. Not meaning to offend anybody :) but I'm feeling very desperate :( ](*,) . I'm close to getting a job but I may just ruin everything thing with my clumsiness which may lead to catastrophic consequences like losing vital company information due to clumsy negligence that may get me in trouble big time. And then when the time comes, the boss will ask "Why didn't you tell me about your condition?" That is why I need a boss who knows. Can't the Dyspraxia foundation help you get a job in their Dyspraxia foundation headquarters, building or something?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I’m fortunate in that I found myself a job some years ago but didn’t know about or understand my Dyspraxia back then. Organisations should have rigorous safeguards in place to prevent accidental release of sensitive company or customer information, where responsibility to protect information is shared and mistakes are learned from.

Public services in the UK including our National Health Service are sadly not all they could be and even though awareness of Dyspraxia is better here. Ignorance sadly still abounds and most of us have to look after ourselves as best we can. There are some good online support groups and some employers are great and open to supporting those with difficulties but there are sadly still some managers who are quite unforgiving. Dyspraxia makes it difficult to present ourselves as competent and demonstrate that we have or can develop personal strategies to mitigate our difficulties.

The Dyspraxia Foundation (DF) are a pretty small organisation with a small office mostly staffed by unpaid volunteers. They’re based at least 150km from where I live. They do work hard to try to help adults with the condition but they often get a bad press as the”re perceived to be overly focused on helping children and overly dominated by well meaning parents. Unfortunately they can come across as a bit too patronising at times.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)