I am dyspraxic, or I have dyspraxia?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

qwerty
New member - welcome them!

I am dyspraxic, or I have dyspraxia?

Post by qwerty »

I know it seems a silly question.

When I'm going to talk to my boss and let her know about my dyspraxia, I'm anxious about how to say it. What's the phraseology?

This is a data/consultancy type job, if that helps.

Your thoughts...
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I am dyspraxic, or I have dyspraxia?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there and welcome

There isn't a right or wrong answer here, but you could say it is quite a typical conundrum for us!

Depending on the organisation you work for and your boss you may want to take some printed info to help inform your conversation with her. Awareness is getting better and there is a lot more info online about how to disclose to a manager/employer. The Dyspraxia Foundation and also Scope have advice on their websites.

It's a matter of personal preference. Some people dislike saying they are Dyspraxic as they feel it is over definitive and that their Dyspraxia is only a part of their whole.

Feel free to ask follow on questions here and we'll do our best to suggest some things to hopefully help.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
qwerty
New member - welcome them!

Post by qwerty »

Thanks Tom, the conversation went really well.

Overall she was very supportive, and was willing try try figure out possible changes in work functions/tasks to help. It also helped her understand why certain clashes had occurred over the past few years.

I shared some links with her to give some context;
This forum is great by the way - thank you!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're welcome. Credit for Forum is due to Pooky and Dan who had the vision back in 2005/6 to create this space.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)