I fear that my Dyspraxia will affect my future job

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Unsolved
Getting settled in

I fear that my Dyspraxia will affect my future job

Post by Unsolved »

I want to get a job but I greatly fear that I might run into some problems, like being a slow learner and have problems picking up skills quickly. What is my next step? Should I consult a Dyspraxia expert or straight ahead go and get a job?What type of job should I get?Are there any types of jobs that I should avoid?Okay,my next question is rather ridiculous;should I get a job by asking a Dyspraxia association for one? I think I should cause if they give me one, at least I have a boss that understands my situation and weaknesses.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I fear that my Dyspraxia will affect my future job

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Unsolved and welcome.

It is probably best to start by thinking about what you’d like to do and what is currently available where you live that you can get to.

The Dyspraxia Foundation is the principal association but there are Disability Confident employers who will look beyond your difficulties and instead look at helping you reach and exceed your potential.You’ll find that people here have done a variety of different jobs that have presented them with various challenges dependent on the areas of difficultly their Dyspraxia causes them. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses is important as is having an open mind about how you might be able to overcome areas of weakness.

So for example if I saw there was a job in a coffee shop I would hope my prospective employer would offer instruction in use of the till, coffee machine, Dishwasher and system they use to match each customer up with their respective coffee order. I might say it way take me a while longer to get my head around learning to use the till. Obviously at busy times I might be asked to muck in on other roles so having an appreciation of what my colleagues do is important. It all depends on what you want/is available and are prepared to put up with for x amount.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Unsolved
Getting settled in

Post by Unsolved »

I read in another post in which you said that you don't drive and that a kitchen is like a disaster waiting to happen. That's also true about me. What kind of jobs do you recommend I go for?Are there any particular jobs I should avoid? I'm thinking of getting a job as a copywriter in an advertising company.Will that be okay? My mother advises me to be telemarketer but I said no because I'm afraid on telling the wrong things to hundreds of people. Is telemarketing ok?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again.

Without knowing anything much about you or your location - (Pls feel free to introduce yourself in our Introductions Section when you feel comfortable.) - it is not fair or right to rule anything in or out for you.

If copy writing sounds interesting, it is worth investigating/pursuing.

Telesales /work in callcentres is readily available as there is often a high turnover of staff. Not for me as would do my head in personally but some people have the aptitude and desire for it. I just don't think I could enjoy it personally. Some people here have tried. I believe people are generally given a script to work from and have targets to reach.

Personally I'd hate the heat and noise of a commercial kitchen and would tell the headchef a few things Gordon Ramsay would not dare say if he/she shouted at me. Plus I'd burn /spill /ruin things (inc myself and would not enjoy that kind of pressured environment.
Last edited by Tom fod on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

You should probably consider career counseling. There are also some good books you can read such as "I Could Do Anything If Only I knew What It Was"
by Barbara Sherr. She is an out-of-the box career counselor. I don't know about the book's availability in the UK however, you might have to go to the library. Also, "What Color Is Your Parachute?" by Bowles, also American
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Tom fod wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:30 amTelesales /work in callcentres is readily available as there is often a high turnover of staff. Not for me as would do my head in personally but some people have the aptitude and desire for it. I just don't think I could enjoy it personally. Some people here have tried. I believe people are generally given a script to work from and have targets to reach.
Part of my admin job at the nhs is effectively a call centre and I can tell you, script or not people very rarely answer your questions in a way or order that allows you to follow the script or process sequentially. So it does require a good deal of flexibility and mental dexterity. It can be pretty cognitively challenging.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

V good point! I find I’m perhaps odd in that I work well when things are logical, but of course other people seldom if ever behave or provide the right info that I need to be able to provide them with what they want/need
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

chrisco1
New member - welcome them!

Post by chrisco1 »

Its hard to find something we struggle with in a job. Feels like the learning process is always the hardest especially remembering what people say to you. Anxiety can creep in. You make mistakes and get a fluttery mess.

Short term memory is the worst I find and using tills and equipment at a fast pace. Its horrible.

I am yet to find a job I feel I can actually do. Its frustrating. I hate dyspraxia sometimes.
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

I felt like I couldn't do any job for the longest time. I think the best option for some of us is to find a way to be self employed. It might be terrifying, going it alone, but we make our own hours and expectations that way.

I'm working on becoming an author for those very reasons - I'm good at it, and I don't have to answer to anybody but myself.
anitatukci
New member - welcome them!

Post by anitatukci »

If you are so afraid of your future job, it is best to turn to a psychotherapist for help. Also, if there are intelligent people around you who are achieving something in this life, then ask them for advice. Start reading a book about psychology and try to figure yourself out. You should not be afraid of anything. Even if you fail, you can find another option. There are no hopeless situations! I also once worked in an office, and it infuriated me terribly. I was even depressed, but at one point, I realized that I needed something else. And I decided to become a firefighter. Of course, before I applied to the fire academy, I found an article about preparing for tests and so on https://firerecruitmentaustralia.com.au ... ter-in-wa/. But that's not the point. I believe that everyone can do everything. The main thing is not to give up and not be afraid!
Last edited by anitatukci on Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

anitatukci wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:31 pm I always wanted to try myself as a firefighter now I'm finishing school tell me where you can find out about this work
While not an obvious career choice for someone with Dyspraxia it's something I wanted to do when I was growing up. The training is demanding by all accounts but your local Fire & Rescue Service should be able to advise you on entry requirements
Tom
Moderator/Administrator