Help and Advice needed.

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wesker1985
New member - welcome them!

Help and Advice needed.

Post by Wesker1985 »

Hi, I don't know if I'm allowed to ask for this kind of help on here but I'm at a loss and don't know what to do.
My brother was diagnosed with Dyspraxia at a young age, he's now 30 and due to bullying in school does have social anxiety and sometimes asks questions which can be taken out of context. This has recently been the case in his job where a girl has made a complaint about him. He was under investigation and he has told his employer about his Dyspraxia, as a supervisor in his job he was given a first and final warning. Since this outcome they have now advised him to step down from his supervisor role due to making this girl feel uncomfortable and that his Dyspraxia makes him unable to make certain decisions in his job (even tho he's been doing this role for 5 years) where does he stand with his employer making him feel inadequate to do his job role? He's now gone off on the sick with work related stress cause he's feeling bullied and intimidated because he's told his employer about his Dyspraxia.
Any help would be really appreciated because I don't know where to start to help him.
Thank you.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Help and Advice needed.

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there

It's what the Forum is here for so of course you can ask. I think you need to consult an employment law expert at the earliest opportunity. If he's a union member or can join, I feel that would be a good idea. as he would benefit if he could have someone with him at any formal meeting(s) between management and himself in respect the disciplinary case. There's no legal obligation to disclose, but if he has only recently told them, they may be unwilling/unable (and indeed uncertain about how or whether) to accept this as mitigation.

Other avenues for support and advice can include the Dyspraxia Foundation, ACAS and/or possibly also Scope
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)