Any tips on how to de-stress from work?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

holleee
New member - welcome them!

Any tips on how to de-stress from work?

Post by holleee »

Hi guys

I work in a pupil referral unit, and although I love my job and do it well, I get so anxious and exhausted sometimes because of my dyspraxia. It feels like the bath is always about to overflow in my head as I have a million and one things to do and remember at work, and the same outside work. I constantly have to make my brain and body go as fast as everyone else's, and this takes its toll on my mental health. I keep feeling really anxious, and today I was on the verge of a meltdown. Does anyone have any ideas or coping mechanisms on how to reign in the near meltdowns, and any tips on how I can relax and come back to reality after work?

Ta!

(P.S - The staff sometimes have a humour that I can't understand; sometimes its very dry and very sarcastic, and sometimes I can't pick that up and become stressed and confused. Is this a dyspraxic thing?)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Any tips on how to de-stress from work?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Holleee

it is considered quite typical to be on a different wavelength to others and not always be able to pick on everything. We're all different, even people without dyspraxia, so try not to beat yourself up.

I'm not sure what your job entails or what distractions typically occur to mess up your flow. I imagine there are a number of conflicting priorities and on some days they are typically all crying out for attention. Some people swear by having a day book in which they can tick off items on to do lists. remember you can only do so much and sometimes things will fail despite your best efforts. Try to avoid taking on too much and don't be afraid to flag issues to senior colleagues so they are aware.

I read this in the Dyspraxia Foundation newsletter and found this tip, in case it works for you or others' here

To help with an anxiety attack
Look around you
Find 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste.

This is called grounding. It can help when you feel like you have lost control of your surroundings.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
holleee
New member - welcome them!

Post by holleee »

Thanks!

I'm definitely going to look into getting a diary. I think it will really help capture all my tasks, so they don't float out of my head!

Luckily I deal with a lot of students who have anxiety, so I know of plenty of ways I can deal with my anxiety.

Thanks for reassuring me that I'm not actually insane!
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

When I remember to use it a page a day diary is really useful so things I hope to get done today go on today, and things that need to be done by a certain date can be planned in!