care apprenticeship

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sanahasacat
Getting settled in

care apprenticeship

Post by sanahasacat »

hey all! as the title would suggest, i recently began an apprenticeship in health and social care; i start work in a few days. now, here is my question:

does anyone here work in care and if so, how do you deal with the physical parts of your job? (moving and handling, washing people, etc). i can deal with stress and most other aspects of most jobs easily (though i admit i don't have the best sense of direction or memory), but i'm a little worried that my lack of motor coordination is going to be a problem. should i have chosen a less practical/physical/etc career or stayed at uni or something? just sort of wondering.
Mcewan90
Getting settled in

Re: care apprenticeship

Post by Mcewan90 »

Hey there I work in care it can be very difficult at times for me. the biggest problem for me in my job is my memory I always forget things. I sometimes have problems dressing people as well i tend to put peoples shoes on the wrong feet :rolleyes: I have been in my job almost a year now and I am still learning things that most people would learn in a few days. My advice to you is just be honest , tell people you have dyspraxia. I didnt tell anyone i had dyspraxia when i first started until i kept getting pulled up for silly little mistakes which could have cost me my job. When you start just tell people you are dyspraxic and how it might affect your work and you should get the support you need.

Hope this helps :)
sarahlovie1
New member - welcome them!

Re: care apprenticeship

Post by sarahlovie1 »

I would agree with the last post, honesty is definitely the best policy! I recently disclosed about my dyspraxia and it has made a very positive difference at work. Good luck in your job, you will do great! :D