Has anybody here recently gotten into employment?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jdeadevil
New member - welcome them!

Has anybody here recently gotten into employment?

Post by Jdeadevil »

I'm just wondering if it's actually possible these days. If there's actually, any hope. I'm posting this here 'cause I have Dyspaxia and Autism and would like to know if finding employment this past two years has been actually possible, specially under these kind of circumstance. I'm on benefits, however while applying for work, I'm pretty sure there's 95% chance I won't get the jobs I'm applying for. My CV shows that I've worked in two offices (one being for design work), PC World, and Oxfam, all unpaid. But even with that I get ignored and rejected by most. I have a foundation degree in what's essentially programming. Yet I'm stuck here thinking if there's actually any point trying harder..

I went into Booths the other day to ask if there are any application forms I could pick up, but she said to me that there weren't any jobs going. I wanted to mutter under my breath "Yeah what a f*cking surprise." But really, I also think to myself, if I went to Tesco Express would they tell me the same thing, as well as every other shop in my town? It would be slightly annoying if every single week I went in to ask the same question, and even then, as soon as one opens up some Clark Kent of employment with awesome hair and 3,000 degrees has probably already applied and got the job.

God.. I've spent five years in further education and it just feels like a waste, I'm almost 23 and I've never had a paid job. Does anyone else feel my frustration here? Is there actually any hope at all for me?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Has anybody here recently gotten into employment?

Post by Tom fod »

Welcome

It took me a couple of years too but that was back in the 90s and it was probably easier then though it never felt that way, I can definitely relate to your frustrations, uncertainty and feeling that it all seems to be futile.

There is hope and having a degree doesn't necessarily make someone a better employee or more suited. Going into a place with my CV was something I was never able to do and it does get you noticed. I was more a letter writer/form filler but it was the interviews I struggled with.

Keep up the efforts and try not to lose heart
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I have been doing casual tutoring, I am going to do market research next week.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Jdeadevil wrote:and even then, as soon as one opens up some Clark Kent of employment with awesome hair and 3,000 degrees has probably already applied and got the job.
Pretty much sums up how I often end up feeling.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I wish employers were better at seeing that we are often very dependable and loyal.

They might find the person with fancy hair and multiple degrees is uninterested in sticking around in the long term and/or carrying out the less glamorous but essential routine often hard and sometimes 'boring' (subjective) work to keep a business ticking over. I pride myself on being as reliable/useful as I can if only someone will give me the chance to prove that.

We may not necessarily be the sort of 'High flyers' typified by The Apprentice' but there's definitely room for the what we can bring to the table if we are given the right guidance, freedom and sufficient time and opportunity to learn and develop in our own way and make a no less valuable contribution.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I had a similar experience in my early 20's for over 18 months I applied for literally everything I could, must have sent out 100's of C.Vs asked in dozens of work places if jobs were going but nothing. Eventually I managed to get a Christmas job at Woolworths (remember them :) ) and it went from there.
The only thing I can suggest is persistence is the key, its not just you (although I know it feels that way at times).
Did you see that story on the BBC a few days ago about Center Parks ?
They advertised for less than 1500 jobs and got over 12000 replies so there are plenty of others in the same boat, not much of a comfort I know but don't loose hart.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I am in full time employment and have been for just over a year now - I work as a warehouse operative for the co-op.
I have however been in the job hunting situation - I did volentery work and also did temporary / agency work at various warehouses and similer jobs etc.

I am not sure what the job market is like right now but I know it is not easy to find a job. What I would suggest is look into jobs that others may not think about as much such as warehousing / industry jobs - things that go on 'behind the sceans'. A lot of people will look at shops and retail etc yes there are jobs there but probably more competition for those jobs.

The main thing is to keep applying and take different approaches to get the job - find out who you need to talk to / apply to and show that you are someone who can turn up and work hard that's really what most employers are looking for.
The real Mr Potato Head
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

Not at the moment I have tried my hardest to find work. I have been to several training providers, seen the DEA at the job centre all have their crazy ideas. I am frustrated whether this has bought on my IBS in 2012 and health anxiety.

I try not to let it get to me these people are only doing their jobs. Its harder enough to try to explain what dyspraxia is positive and how its affects me to do work, the type of work I am unable to do because of my dyspraxia, also I do suffer from NF which is another hard condition to explain.

Being 30 I feel I should be back in the job market. I have worked some in paid temporary work, and just one placement unpaid, I also had a work preparation via the DEA at a company.
if we count the year long placement doing my NVQ back in late 2002 to late 2003.

The gaps of my CV whether it months and year(s) I have kept trying, by being myself, making sure I have done the cover letter myself in the words I would use. I have done badly on the interview with employment agencies, but prefer to also take my data entry accurate/speed into account.
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

Since October I've worked in an office in Harrogate.
Kitty
New member - welcome them!

Post by Kitty »

When I 23 I was struggling to find work too, I ended up temping for an agency at the min wage for nearly two years spending nearly 3 hrs everyday commuting. I hated it their as no one really valued you as an employee. I got spoken to like I was stupid many times and spoken about to a point where I had very low self esteem, and lost all confidence. I was looking for other jobs and eventually found a five month contract within the public sector, thank God. They took me on permanently eventually and gave me lots of training. I eventually realised that the training was very poor in my first job, I mean being trained by someone who had been their a few months. everyone was always good at criticising you but not helping you do your job. There was also a lot of jealousy amongst people competing to do better.

I have now been in my job for over 12 yrs. Please don't give up guys I know how hard it is at first. Without the experience from my first job (where I was miserable)I wouldn't have got my second one! Keep looking and good luck!