Baaargh so fed up and frustrated.

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jim
Super poster

Re: Baaargh so fed up and frustrated.

Post by Jim »

Yeah, I'm a member of unison and have had a rep involved since my first formal meeting, more as a safety net to help prevent me talking myself into corners!
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Well, if only I were as successful at getting jobs as I seem to be at getting interviews I'd have gotten about ten jobs so far this year ](*,)

Had another interview yesterday, got a further two lined up for this month, applying to a bucket load more and have my formal sickness meeting tomorrow.

God-damn I hate interviews. It's just the physching myself up part to control the nerves. It reminds me of forlornly trying to learn to swim as a child. I still can't swim to this day #-o
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

I hate interviews too! I know I am probably teaching my granny to suck eggs but is there anyone who does mentoring either at your work or via unison who could talk you through ways to maximise the chances of success, also you could try relaxation ( or thinking of your interviewers sat on the toilet.... that one always makes me smile and they don't know that your smile is not just a relaxed smile), and I've said it to other but actually saying answers out loud, if you have a friend/relative/mentor they may be able to ask you questions that may help too... or all this could be stuff you've tried if so feel free to ignor.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again Jim

One strategy I'm still surprised I actually used was to say to one interviewer . . . "I've recently had an interview for another post, in the event they say yes too, what would you say to try and persuade me to join your team".

May be worth a shot. All the best.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Once upon a time I was actually in that situation, twice in-fact where I had two job offers on the table and could take my pick. It's just like waiting for a bus isn't it? You wait blooming ages for just one but then two come along at once #-o

No such luck at the moment though. :(

I had my formal sickness meeting today, and if possible I will get a trial period in a new "non clinical" role. This is very much dependant on there being such an opportunity available though which is by no means a given.

But, my period on the "redeployment list" has been extended, which is unusual but they can see the effort I'm putting into finding a new job.

I've applied for two new jobs within the company again this week, so I hope to get short listed for those.

In the mean time I've accepted the offer of a "interview workshop".

And I'll also have to consult my Doctor, as I've been off for so long.. He'll have to give me a "fit note" before I can return in any capacity.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Baaargh!!!!!!!!

3 job interviews within the last week, all of which went well with good feedback.

How many job offers? 0, zero, zilch, nought ... Not a sausage.

How many rejections? Yup you guessed it, 3. (Well 4 actually, one employer notified me that I hadn't been shortlisted)

Gawd... I feel frustrated.

2 more interviews pending though... It's got to happen for me eventually.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Wow... just wow.

I had another interview yesterday. And it went well... really well. I felt comfortable and confident and I received some extremely encouraging and positive reactions to my answers.

So I left there feeling quite hopeful.

The result?

I didn't even manage to get home before they phoned (or tried to) with the result. I had two missed calls on my phone whilst driving home, and although I could have legally answered them because it was on my TomTom cradel and so hands free etc, I decided I'd rather keep my concentration on the road. Anyway.. when they finally got through to me and this was still within an hour and a half of the actual interview what was the answer?

Sorry, you've been unsuccessful.

Just what do I need to do? /rhetoric question

----

Next up is another meeting with HR, and a couple of days after that one more pending interview. But dammit.. I've had four interviews in the past couple of weeks all of which actually went really well except that none of them have led to a job. I have to admit... It's difficult not to feel a bit dispirited about it all.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Editorial addition...

two pending interviews. I've just received notification that I've been shortlisted for another.. and this one I hope I get because I'm part of the company already and I'd be able to walk to work everyday. Good for fitness and saving fuel.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I really wish I could post a positive update to my thread here.

But sadly that is difficult to do :(

Despite having had several interviews which have all gone well recently all employers have been resolutely united in not offering me a job. The feedback I've been receiving recently has often been contrasting and sometimes contradictory and it's left me feeling like I'm jumping through hoops in order to get a job only for hoops to be moved at the last moment.

One employer effectively told me that I was too good for their job, because they didn't feel they could offer me "what I was looking for". They felt that basically I'd get bored there because it wouldn't let me use all of my skills. So somehow I've oversold myself which is most unlike me because I usually serially undersell myself.

One employer (which is another department of the company I already belong to), told me during the interview that the vacancy was currently being looked after by a temp and that they'd also applied for it permanently. (so basically they're effectively admitting that they've promised to give the job to the temp). The feedback call told me I did well, gave good answers but that someone else made a couple less mistakes on the typing test and on that basis they felt that they couldn't give me the job over them.

The next week I had a interview with a different team but part of the same management.. this time I get told that I actually scored the top marks in the typing test. But I STILL didn't get the job despite of giving some of the best answers they received. They felt that I was too "clinical" instead of "clerical".

That marked at the least the third time I'd came out on top of a typing test, and yet didn't secure the job.

So at the moment it really doesn't seem to matter how well I do at interview as they're finding an excuse not to give me a job even though it's usually admitted that I'm more than good enough to do the job.

So I'm feeling thoroughly frustrated and extremely dispirited and maybe a little discriminated against.

And the stress isn't abating either. I attended another HR Review meeting regarding my ongoing sickness absence from my current role. I was basically pushed into making a decision into whether when push came to shove if I would consider returning to my current substantive job.

My union rep tried painting it as though I could return there and have additional support and at least I'd still "be in the system" whilst I continued to look for a transfer.

The problem is... eight years of experience doing that job in that environment has taught me that supervision and support promises are never kept. They are perpetually postponed due to workload pressures of the place in general. So how can I feel confident that any such promises would be delivered if I returned to the role and environment that has been making me so miserable for so long?

So the long and short of it is that, that under pressure I officially ruled out returning to that job. This is a massive risk because I could now imminently find myself out of a job altogether, especially if it reaches the formal hearing stage which involves getting in front of tribunal of managers who haven't been involved in my case thus far. If they don't agree with my reasons for my absence they could basically dismiss me from the employment altogether and I'm thoroughly convinced that they will not see things from my perceptive especially following my last occupational health assessment which was bluntly and ignorantly dismissive of the issues I tried to raise.

The only remaining shard of hope lies with a possible transfer to my much wanted clerical role because a position has come up which is on the same salary band that I'm currently on and this "should" give HR more clout in simply transferring me across. Something they couldn't do with the previous vacancies because they were all a band above me.

It sounds like it ought to be a formality. But the problem is that I've had my hopes raised and brutally dashed with cruel regularity throughout this situation. And it is this experience which warns me not to expect too much because if there is a way to deny me the opportunity then I'm sure the relevant manager will find it.

If I'm honest, I sense myself being out of a job altogether and yes.. it frightens me a lot. This whole process has been a massive risk for me from the outset. I've had to make some of the hardest decisions that I've ever had to contemplate.

I have this feeling in the back of my head that I've been silly, stupid and irresponsible somehow.. which is ridiculous because ultimately I know that I have to put myself, my well being and my sanity first. Because it's been threatened and harmed for so long now and that it simply has to stop. And I know if the job hadn't made me feel like this.. then I'd never have gone off sick.

So the new year represents two contrasting situations for me. New job, new start, a new life or unemployment and massive uncertainty.
Last edited by Jim on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desertboy
Getting settled in

Post by desertboy »

I'm sorry that this long-term problem is escalating. It must be especially frustrating that you've been so close to getting the job that you want.

A few years back while I was working at well known British company, I had a boss who was making my life so miserable that I literally felt sick every time I entered the office. While It isn't exactly the same situation as yours, the end result is perhaps somewhat similar.

A little voice in my head screamed at me one day to quit the job.That is what I did despite strong advice from both the union and the company counselor to take long-term sick leave. With hindsight, I was far too impulsive and irresponsible. However, that could certainly never be said about you. You have been as prudent as you could in the situation.

Even though my departure from the company was somewhat feckless and led to a rocky ride for a couple of years, it was still a better decision than to have stayed working for that awful man. I really think I would have had a physical and/or a mental breakdown if I'd stayed there. If I understand what you have said correctly, something might have snapped within you too if you'd continued in your job.

In the end quitting that job proved to be the end of the beginning rather than the beginning of the end. Fortunately, as I didn't have any kids or a mortgage, I did some travelling and then went to college to improve my education.

Even though the thought of being out of a job is scary, you might find that it isn't as bad as it seems. If you don't have any major financial commitments, you could always do some voluntary work that comes with pocket money and accommodation (such as CSV). Doing a degree (perhaps in a health related field) might also be an option for you since you have writing skills that put many university graduates to shame. I know the disadvantage of this is student debt, but it might improve your long-term prospects.

Anyway, I hope that you can get something that you like within the NHS. And if not, there must something suitable outside of the NHS for a smart fellow like you (even if finding it is a rocky road).
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Sometimes I think being forced out of a job forces you to make the decision that you need to make, that said I personally would not particularly recommend working for the NHS, as there are numerous data gathering systems that make no sense and there are people with vested interests who you offend at your peril. I was foolish enough to tell the people I was working with that what they were doing was to the detriment of the service users big mistake! and now go to work and have to put on act all day (very tiring). That said I do not think that working in the private sector is any easier I did many years ago work in the food manufacturing industry until I was sacked.... that started me on my current career of occupational therapy which I thoroughly enjoyed for about 12 years until people stopped putting the service users first and started putting personal and business interests before the needs of the service users... thus I am hopeful both for you and for me that whether we choose it or we are forced into it the future though seeming dark at the moment will be bright with worth while jobs that we enjoy..... good luck and if you do find yourself unemployed do make the most of every service available, I believe that the job centres have occupational psychologists available for unemployed people who have a disability these may prove helpful. Hope this did not sound too selfish and that you find something useful in it .
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

At the moment remaining within the NHS (even if with a different trust) seems to be my most likely prospect aside from unemployment. This is because I've had almost zero interest outside of the NHS and but one single interview from well over a hundred applications.

All my other interviews have been with NHS employers and I imagine that my experience has played some factor in my being shortlisted for these. Remaining within the NHS would be the more lucrative option because as far as admin & clerical goes they offer one of the most competitive pay structures in the sector and I'd also be able to continue contributing towards my NHS pension which inspite of the Daily Mail brigade's best efforts remains a relatively decent pension package by comparison.

If I'm honest university isn't something I'm considering. Not simply because of the cost which is prohibitive but because I'd struggle with lecture based learning. And I definitely don't want to do a degree in Nursing as I actually passed up opportunities to do so because it simply did not interest me or motivate me. My employer tried pushing me into nursing secondments numerous times in the past, I turned them down because I know it would not have been right for me. I also have experience of attempting to learn a trade that in my heart I knew I wasn't suited to or cut out for and I have no wish to repeat such an traumatic period of my life (the current one is bad enough).

However I'd definitely consider building upon my recent diploma in Business Administration by taking on another distance learning course to perhaps professional or higher diploma level. And I'm targeting admin as a career because I've always felt more comfortable doing clerical type stuff in the past and it's where I can apply my skills most effectively.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Jim

Sorry to still be reading of the continuing saga. I do admire your determination and I do hope it pays off. I think you're right to be concerned that the promises of extra support may well not materialise, either properly or at all, given workloads and the pressures on all.

Access to Work, if you go down that road often seems to focus on IT-based assistive solutions as a 'cure all' when it may be a case that the existing mechanisms/processses could do more with appropriate change rather than constant change for change sake?

In some ways it bemuses me that NHS managers can fail to see that your experience of how it works/doesn't work from the clinical side might actually be useful knowledge you can share with your new administrative colleagues and managers. But then . . perhaps that's what they're afraid off, a cat among the pigeons!

I'm wondering if a letter to your NHS Trusts' Chief Executive or perhaps even the SoS Mr J Hunt and the Shadow Health Secretary Jamie Reed might be worth considering?

Sorry I probably sound a bit too militant, cynical and pessimistic while at the same trying to be an idealist and over simplifier.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Little update;

We're trying to lobby for a transfer or at least a four week trial period to an admin post which is graded on the same salary band as my old role. HR say that they have a bit more clout to push transfers through when the salary bands match (After a lot of recent dashed hopes, I'm still skeptical though).

I've also applied for another "internal" vacancy.

Plus I've been shortlisted for another, so I've got another pending interview to look forward to/dread (delete as per appropriate). What's slightly ironic is that I applied to the same place earlier this year but didn't get shortlisted despite it matching my current salary band... the vacancy I've been shortlisted for now is actually a band above it ](*,)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Best of luck with the interview when it comes up Jim