Jobcentre discrimination

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tim G
Super poster

Re: Jobcentre discrimination

Post by Tim G »

As I have said before and many if not all who use the job center and / or ATOS say is that it is rubbish and a massive waste of time. Its like a game that you have to play if you dont play the 'game' then you wont get anything. You almost have to cheat the system to get somthing out of it that your entitled to the dysablitie living allowance and ATOS is one of thoes things. You need to know how to get you point and dysablities across in such a way that you have a chance of getting the benerfit, (luckley there are services and people to help you with this though)

One grate example is of one person who volenters at the charity furinture shop I am at. - Firstly he is deaf however that dident stop the job center phoning him about his benerfits, he dident hear the phone and couldent take the call so without warning they stopped all his benerfits. - He then had to ask what happed and explane (as best he could) to the job center why he couldent hear the phone and talk to them after all of this they did restart his benerfits.
Well done job center another classic example of annoyance =D>

The job center another example of the devel in a 3 piece sute :evil:, hell in a municpial bulding - no wonder they have security there. :evilb:
The real Mr Potato Head
LuluBoo
Getting settled in

Post by LuluBoo »

AlleyCat wrote:There are several petitions on the go at the moment re. the UK government's treatment of the sick and disabled. This one is to be presented to Amnesty UK at their annual conference. It would be good if people on here would sign it to help it get up to the minimum 3000 signatures they're aiming for:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Amnest ... d/?tXEQVbb

There is also a government epetition created by the comedienne Francesca Martinez, which you might like to sign if you haven't already done so:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/43154

As someone with dyspraxia who has spent most of my life being blamed for things I can't help, I really feel for all the sick and disabled people who have been treated so appallingly by the Jobcentre and Atos.
signed both and posted them
Tim G wrote:As I have said before and many if not all who use the job center and / or ATOS say is that it is rubbish and a massive waste of time. Its like a game that you have to play if you dont play the 'game' then you wont get anything. You almost have to cheat the system to get somthing out of it that your entitled to the dysablitie living allowance and ATOS is one of thoes things. You need to know how to get you point and dysablities across in such a way that you have a chance of getting the benerfit, (luckley there are services and people to help you with this though)

One grate example is of one person who volenters at the charity furinture shop I am at. - Firstly he is deaf however that dident stop the job center phoning him about his benerfits, he dident hear the phone and couldent take the call so without warning they stopped all his benerfits. - He then had to ask what happed and explane (as best he could) to the job center why he couldent hear the phone and talk to them after all of this they did restart his benerfits.
Well done job center another classic example of annoyance =D>

The job center another example of the devel in a 3 piece sute :evil:, hell in a municpial bulding - no wonder they have security there. :evilb:
this is a regular subject in mine and my dad's political debates my dad's a strong tory supporter (he thinks mr cameron is the best thing since sliced bread) I'm a former tory supporter, it's only going to get worse under the tories people are going to be living in poverty unless they stop taking away benefits people need. I had an ATOS 'assessment' in august i was on ESA for reasons i don't want to disclose i was honest throughout the whole thing they only asked about my physical health not about the reason i was on ESA in the first place then they failed me. ATOS should just be scrapped and replaced with real doctors
PhilB
Getting settled in

Post by PhilB »

From what I've read ATOS are doing really badly and clearly have a system that doesn't work. If you have been failed by them it may be worth speaking to someone (CAB?) to find out about how you can appeal. My understanding is that something like 15% of people that they say are fit to work subsequently win on appeal.

I assume ATOS were brought in to reduce the cost of assessments, but I dread to think how expensive all the appeals are...

I was chatting to someone the other day on the train, and he works for a company that is paid to get people back in to work. He was saying that essentially they get paid x amount for each person that gets a job and stays in it for at least 6 months. However, because of that it's very easy for the company to focus it's efforts on the ones that are relatively easy to get into work. Much to his frustration, they can't therefore actually invest the time and effort needed with the people who really need the support getting a job. It's cheaper to cut their losses and just not bother.

I can't really blame the companies, as they are just trying to make a living and I can understand why from a commercial point of view they don't want to take on clients that they will lose money on. Sadly as a business you do what you have to do to make a living or you go bust and everyone loses out. I do however very much blame the people who set up these ridiculous contracts that make it better for companies like ATOS and the one above, to either ignore people in difficult circumstances or cut their benefits unreasonably - seemingly with no concern for those let down by the system.

While I can understand frustration with the Tories, I'd like to point out that it was Labour that got ATOS in! Sometimes you just can't win.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

yeah, PhilB is right it was Labour that given ATOS the powers that be, and that can control everybody's money at the click of a button.

but even the Job Centre are just as bad, if not worse. as I had to do a renewal for ISA, and sent the form back near enough 6 days before the deadline, which out of a possible 2 weeks I had 3 days in which to get my support worker out to give me a hand with it. then he posted it into the post box himself.

a week later the Job Centre sent me a letter to state that my benefits had been cancelled due to not returning the forms. and there was no way to appeal against their decission. well I got my support worker to phone them, and they were ready to give him sh*t. but he said he had filled in the form himself, and returned it to them the Thursday before the Tuesday deadline. then they said opps. hang about oh look here it is. not an appology once.

and now got ATOS after me filling in another form. for ESA now. so I been warned my money could drop by more than half.

I have always had a chequered history with medicals etc. and went from £400 a month to less than £60 a month, and when you think my rent topup at the time was £10 a week. then leaves you with peanuts to play with. even beans on toast cost more than I could afford.

so yes, I am not looking forward to doing this form, and any medical which I probably will be facing, and my support worker said there is like a 2% chance of them not sending me for a medical.
phil8715
New member - welcome them!

Post by phil8715 »

I had that myself with my so called DEA. She frequently tried to get my benefits sanctioned because I didn't apply for a job she found me on their computers, it was a skilled job which required using my hands, hello?? I've got dyspraxia a coordination disability, I said why didn't I just apply to become a heart surgeon?
LuluBoo
Getting settled in

Post by LuluBoo »

phil8715 wrote:I had that myself with my so called DEA. She frequently tried to get my benefits sanctioned because I didn't apply for a job she found me on their computers, it was a skilled job which required using my hands, hello?? I've got dyspraxia a coordination disability, I said why didn't I just apply to become a heart surgeon?
the jobcentre are useless
I was put foreward for a dog groomer's
out of all the dog groomers in my area I was put foreward for one in an industrial estate that i physically couldn't get to I was rather frustrated
cisegirl1
New member - welcome them!

Post by cisegirl1 »

I say complain would she get away with what she said to someone in a wheelchair. Sorry no offense but I feel as our debilities are hidden we dont get the same respect and understanding with the ones on show.
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

I am using the job centre at the minute and they are not helping me find a job that much. Added to that is its costing me a huge amount of money in bus fares to go there (as I am being made, because of my age, 22, to go weekly).
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Thankfully you now only see one person eahc time you go and mine happens to be quite a friendly woman. There's not really much help on finding jobs, though. Luckily at the moment I only have to go in fortnightly rather than weekly, even though I'm not yet 25.
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D