Asked to do something I can’t do

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fin12
New member - welcome them!

Asked to do something I can’t do

Post by Fin12 »

Hi all, just found this group by accident and wanted some help with a situation at work where I have to do something for promotion I cannot do. I’m nearly 40 and was diagnosed at 23
I’m being asked to consult on projects where I work In order to get promoted after I’ve spent the last 20 years managing projects and supporting project managers. I can do this because I’ve learned to do it over a very long time and am absolutely petrified.
The fact is that doing this scares the hell out of me, I’m not comfortable doing it and don’t know how I’d do it in such a way that is being described. My communication skills aren’t good and I take a long time to develop a way of talking to people around me, I’m overly introverted because of this and getting out and talking to new people isn’t easy. Trying to develop rapport with customers in one day, pretend I understand their business problem in a field of expertises I’m not familiar with and then getting us further business off the back of me doing this is not something I could ever imagine doing.
However, this is the last criteria I have to fulfil for me to get promoted. Every and any other avenue to bypass this or to avoid it seems closed off and my manager seems adamant to push me down this path. What do I do? I’ve disclosed my dyspraxia and my concerns but he seems adamant that I have to plough this path despite the fact that doing what I do is actually incredibly beneficial to the company.
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: Asked to do something I can’t do

Post by Xenavire »

If you enjoy what you do now, and it is beneficial for the company, you can attempt to politely turn him down and request a pay increase instead. As far as I am aware, nobody can force you to take a promotion if you don't want it, and I'm fairly sure it would be illegal to fire someone because they turned down a promotion.

I could be wrong though, so if it is an option you are interested in, you should research what rights you have first.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Asked to do something I can’t do

Post by Tom fod »

Fin12 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:30 pm Hi all, just found this group by accident and wanted some help with a situation at work where I have to do something for promotion I cannot do. I’m nearly 40 and was diagnosed at 23
I’m being asked to consult on projects where I work In order to get promoted after I’ve spent the last 20 years managing projects and supporting project managers. I can do this because I’ve learned to do it over a very long time and am absolutely petrified.
The fact is that doing this scares the hell out of me, I’m not comfortable doing it and don’t know how I’d do it in such a way that is being described. My communication skills aren’t good and I take a long time to develop a way of talking to people around me, I’m overly introverted because of this and getting out and talking to new people isn’t easy. Trying to develop rapport with customers in one day, pretend I understand their business problem in a field of expertises I’m not familiar with and then getting us further business off the back of me doing this is not something I could ever imagine doing.
However, this is the last criteria I have to fulfil for me to get promoted. Every and any other avenue to bypass this or to avoid it seems closed off and my manager seems adamant to push me down this path. What do I do? I’ve disclosed my dyspraxia and my concerns but he seems adamant that I have to plough this path despite the fact that doing what I do is actually incredibly beneficial to the company.
Hi Fin12

Welcome

In some ways it's encouraging that they have confidence in you but equally you know best what is within your own area of comfort! You could say I have deep concerns and this is very much outside my comfort zone but I will consider trialling this for a month on the understanding you will provide me with the following additional support and you will let me return to my old role or x role if this trial does not work out.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)