anyone into walking hiking camping

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adrastos
Getting settled in

anyone into walking hiking camping

Post by Adrastos »

Hi anyone with dyspraxia into walking camping hiking conservation volunteering, would anyone be interested in doing things like this, similer minds may be able to communicate better, all messages welcomed,

cheers steve
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: anyone into walking hiking camping

Post by Tom fod »

Steve

I've been on a number of holidays where I've camped in the US and Canada. The company that does these trips (Trek America) always includes hikes. I've also some walking where I live here in the Forest of Dean, a walking holiday in France's Ardeche region back in June and some walking along Cotswold way.

Haven't really done any conservation work activities myself but have thought about it however finding time and working out public transport/logistics (I don't drive) has tended to get in way.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Adrastos
Getting settled in

Post by Adrastos »

been the Cotswold's and the forest dean lovely never been us always thought ild get arrested as terrorist. well if anyone's ever up for anything outside forums i can walk and hike climb its weird my nerves dont effect me some ways its like i play the ps3 and my shot rate and targets longshots are always on target, i used do pot holing and climbing never was problem either it tends be around people who are noticing my nerves that my nerves become noticeable to me ,

cheers
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I like walking, hicking, climbing and genral outdoors things as well.
I havent really done any real walking and climbing as such since my D of E in school but wouldent mind going on a trip with other dyspraxics and thoes of a simmilar mindset etc.
The real Mr Potato Head
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Steve

I find I'm fine when I'm in a comfort zone and things are going well I can take minor setbacks and irritations. It tends to fall apart if I think too much about stuff, thats tends to lead to when uncertainties creeping/flooding in I'm reduced to almost a 'crying pile on the floor' or at least on inside I may be. I find on holiday I'm usually much more relaxed which is great!

Really like Trek America as for me all the transport is provided. I've coped with the flights including changing at airports for onward internal flights. Their style of holiday suits me as can't see well enough to drive myself and majority of people I've met are all there for same reason and mostly get on. Did take 10p sized lump off heel on tent nail on 2nd trip after flip flopping across i but not been eaten by bear or bitten by anything else other than a few bugs. US Customs can be intimidating so have to take special care to have all docs together to answer their questions.

I'll become a bore soon so best I shut up and need to get sleep too 8-)

Tim - sounds like an idea for future. Afraid I can't commit to anything at present as have loads going on that requires undivided attention.The idea of a UK holiday with like minded people does sound to me a very appealing idea but have couple of big humps to get over first!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Tim - sounds like an idea for future. Afraid I can't commit to anything at present as have loads going on that requires undivided attention.The idea of a UK holiday with like minded people does sound to me a very appealing idea but have couple of big humps to get over first!
I understand, it is a idea though mabie it could be somthing us on the forum could get involved in some time.
The real Mr Potato Head
Adrastos
Getting settled in

Post by Adrastos »

Yes Tim it would be good, Ive also traveled a lot I lived in India for 6 months, got lost couldn't remember the name of the town i was staying but knew where it was but hadn't brought my credit card out with me so i couldn't go cash machine and get cash, so i had walk for 1 half/ 2 days to get back ha two lads from Dubai picked me up and tried in vein for hours to get me home lol

eventually I told them to leave me as I could tell they where getting irritated but still felt the need to get me home ha , eventually white dove a friend from my village drove past on his bike and stopped gave me a lift, my feet where red raw,

slept for two days ha, oh i wish i was back in Goa! If anyone wants to get up to anything walking camping traveling it would be fun,

I also lived in new forest with just a camping stove and sleeping bag for 3 half months, woke one night to a fox eating my hair it must of thought i was dead ha
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Sounds like you have had quite a fue adventures, sleeping out in the new Forrest for 3 months sounds really hard core i don't know if I could do that for that long.
The real Mr Potato Head
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

I'm currently doing my Gold, I love hiking you can get away from all the noise and problems of life and just relax with your mates! And if you prepare well there's not much pain, so you can just enjoy the scenery!
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!