checkout panic

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

wendy
New member - welcome them!

checkout panic

Post by wendy »

Hi.
I do not have an official diagnosis of Dyspraxia, but am certain I have been living with the condition all my life. I can relate to almost all and every thing shared by members of this forum.
One of the things I really struggle with on a regular basis is getting into a complete muddle and inner panic when paying for items at checkouts in the shops. I try to prepare myself by getting my card or cash out while in the queue, but just can't cope with having to manage bags, purse, purchases etc. It's as though I need at least 2 more hands to do the job properly. I drop things, get the bag handles all twisted round each other, get into a muddle with payment. The feeling that I look like a complete numpty who is holding the queue up sends me into even more of a panic. I usually end up exiting a shop with a twisted bundle of arms, bags, receipts, cards and shopping, some of which invariably ends up on the floor. At least face mask wearing these days means that people cant see me muttering expletives to myself as I clumsily retrieve items I have dropped.
Does anyone else share my experiences. Please don't let me be the only one.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: checkout panic

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Wendy

I would say that high 80's percent of us have this struggle. I don't think rushing helps as when we do that more things go wrong. If you're happy to wear one getting a Hidden Disabilities Sunflower Lanyard may hint to the checkout operator that you'd appreciate/need a little more time. I think often the worst culprits for the false sense of urgency our ourselves and by speeding up out hearts are beating faster and the Anxiety Neurotransmitters are jumping across synapses, but brain to fingers and hands is on a go slow. As for the auto checkouts, I hate and detest the ones in Tesco more than others and they hate me!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)