Do others have out of the blue word struggles

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aaron
Getting settled in

Do others have out of the blue word struggles

Post by Aaron »

A short while ago I was chatting to a friend in a cafe. We were chatting about something where a painkiller popped up in the conversation. I said Ibrryopyoofen then Ibeyopuffun then Ibbroprufen and then Ibuprofen.

Well it does happen with some of us sometimes doesn’t it. Sometimes I am pronouncing most words ok then flop! This time it was Like I lost control of my lips as if in a sensory swirl. I like to laugh at it sometimes! Lol!
Last edited by Aaron on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Getting settled in

Re: Do others have out of the blue word struggles.

Post by Aaron »

Aaron wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:09 pm A short while ago I was chatting to a friend in a cafe. We were chatting about something where a painkiller popped up in the conversation. I said Ibrryopyoofen then Ibeyopuffun then Ibbroprufen and then Ibuprofen.

Well it does happen with some of us sometimes doesn’t it. Sometimes I am pronouncing most words ok then flop! This time it was Like I lost control of my lips as if in a sensory swirl. I like to laugh at it sometimes! Lol!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Do others have out of the blue word struggles

Post by Tom fod »

The chemical formula names of medicines are often a right mouthful. Some people have verbal dyspraxia but it can often be a nervous thing because we become more hesitant esp around those who might correct us sharply.

Lots of people stumble over words but it's likely we do it more and/or are more self-conscious esp if others pick up on it and are apt to rudely point it out
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Aaron
Getting settled in

Re: Do others have out of the blue word struggles

Post by Aaron »

Thanks Tom