Joining the dots

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

KnockKnock
New member - welcome them!

Joining the dots

Post by KnockKnock »

](*,) Hi Everyone, I’m not a forum person so this is strange for me but blown away by the honesty here.

Over the years, I managed to convince myself that ‘I didn’t mind’ or ‘that’s ok’ when inside I’ve been seething with myself for decades. When the coach pulled up to go to for the class swimming lesson, my stomach would churn and I sat in silence all the way. I was always frozen with panic in the water but being the 1980’s told to try harder. Still have not mastered cycling at aged 47 Do not drive or walk in high-heels!

My diaries are littered over the years with attempts at all the things that most people think are basic skills. Family and friends don’t mean too but can make you feel silly on top of the self-talk that is on constant repeat.

I pushed hard for our two children to do most of the things I do not/can not?? My husband was becoming frustrated with our son when teaching him to ride a bike and I saw the signs. I soothed both after each attempt. It paid off. On a milestone birthday trip, all four of us went to New York and for one day part of Manhattan was given over to bikes! The city provided bikes and helmets and I waved off the family with a smile. I busied myself but I wanted to be with them cycling. After the holiday, I found an organisation that helps adults to cycle. The first hour was ok but then I drove the bike into a lamp post and smashed one of the lights on the bike. The guy was really cool about it but he looked a bit miffed. As usual for me, I didn’t go back.

We went ice-skating two years ago and I had to use the rack to stay upright. The shame? - my son went to get it for me! I’m ranting, sorry. Just did not know this was here because I wasn’t very honest with myself. I’m 5’9 and sometimes get the evils in the gym but it is comical. I was signed to a modelling agency as a student but each time I was on the catwalk, I felt nervous and thought of Knock knock. So I left and my agent was angry with me for “wasting my chance”. 🙄My body and my mind are definite not on the same page. If they saw me out side they would see I spend most of my time waving to my family and patting the sandwiches. I’ve had years of anxiety around my inability to I suppose function as if something was broken but I couldn’t workout what it was. Appearing aloof at social gatherings. Stuck up? No. Trying to workout how to walk across the room to the toilet without bumping into someone standing perfectly still!

This feels like something different. I've said more to you lot than family and close friends. It isn’t misery seeking company. It is just all starting to add up, so I can stop feeling guilty with regards to the children. Stop feeling ashamed for being so dependent on my husband all these years. Long journey ahead to learn how to talk to myself like a friend. Knock Knock is just one of the names bullies gave me in school as I looked boney and always fell over. Tripped on my own feet sometimes but I intend to ‘own’ the name and let the negativity go. This year (oh the joy!) not going to keep setting goals that are not for me- it does not take 20 hours of lessons to pass the driving test for EVERYONE!🙄 Besides that is off the table for now. Driving lessons with a mask and small panic attack. No thank you.

Thank you to everyone for sharing and reminding me that there is still kindness in strangers xx
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Joining the dots

Post by Tom fod »

KnockKnock wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:27 am ](*,) Hi Everyone, I’m not a forum person so this is strange for me but blown away by the honesty here.

Over the years, I managed to convince myself that ‘I didn’t mind’ or ‘that’s ok’ when inside I’ve been seething with myself for decades. When the coach pulled up to go to for the class swimming lesson, my stomach would churn and I sat in silence all the way. I was always frozen with panic in the water but being the 1980’s told to try harder. Still have not mastered cycling at aged 47 Do not drive or walk in high-heels!

My diaries are littered over the years with attempts at all the things that most people think are basic skills. Family and friends don’t mean too but can make you feel silly on top of the self-talk that is on constant repeat.

I pushed hard for our two children to do most of the things I do not/can not?? My husband was becoming frustrated with our son when teaching him to ride a bike and I saw the signs. I soothed both after each attempt. It paid off. On a milestone birthday trip, all four of us went to New York and for one day part of Manhattan was given over to bikes! The city provided bikes and helmets and I waved off the family with a smile. I busied myself but I wanted to be with them cycling. After the holiday, I found an organisation that helps adults to cycle. The first hour was ok but then I drove the bike into a lamp post and smashed one of the lights on the bike. The guy was really cool about it but he looked a bit miffed. As usual for me, I didn’t go back.

We went ice-skating two years ago and I had to use the rack to stay upright. The shame? - my son went to get it for me! I’m ranting, sorry. Just did not know this was here because I wasn’t very honest with myself. I’m 5’9 and sometimes get the evils in the gym but it is comical. I was signed to a modelling agency as a student but each time I was on the catwalk, I felt nervous and thought of Knock knock. So I left and my agent was angry with me for “wasting my chance”. 🙄My body and my mind are definite not on the same page. If they saw me out side they would see I spend most of my time waving to my family and patting the sandwiches. I’ve had years of anxiety around my inability to I suppose function as if something was broken but I couldn’t workout what it was. Appearing aloof at social gatherings. Stuck up? No. Trying to workout how to walk across the room to the toilet without bumping into someone standing perfectly still!

This feels like something different. I've said more to you lot than family and close friends. It isn’t misery seeking company. It is just all starting to add up, so I can stop feeling guilty with regards to the children. Stop feeling ashamed for being so dependent on my husband all these years. Long journey ahead to learn how to talk to myself like a friend. Knock Knock is just one of the names bullies gave me in school as I looked boney and always fell over. Tripped on my own feet sometimes but I intend to ‘own’ the name and let the negativity go. This year (oh the joy!) not going to keep setting goals that are not for me- it does not take 20 hours of lessons to pass the driving test for EVERYONE!🙄 Besides that is off the table for now. Driving lessons with a mask and small panic attack. No thank you.

Thank you to everyone for sharing and reminding me that there is still kindness in strangers xx

Hi Knock Knock
Welcome. Glad you've found us! Apologies for tardy response have had a manic week!

Definitely understand the notion of feeling at war with myself. I guess it can be sort of a misguided and unsustainable coping strategy where we exhaust ourselves and add to our own misery beyond others' already often unreasonable expectations and criticism.
I don't drive but can hide behind my visual impairment so driving lessons, cars, driving and parking are things I fortunately don't have to worry/care about. I avoid ice skating like the plague and have vision of my fingers sliced off as I try to pick myself up from ice. Can trip and pick up scrapes and bruises without having the hazard of iciness to contend with! Equally aside from the classic clumsiness the social awkwardness and anxiety really play havoc with our confidence and ability to appear competent.

Cara Delvigne is Dyspraxic
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
KnockKnock
New member - welcome them!

Post by KnockKnock »

Ah, Thank you for the welcome and info. Had no idea but glad to see dyspraxia spoken about as something that can be fully managed.
=https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.unde ... an-actress
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I think it's more finding a way to live with it and play to our strengths. I liken it to having an uneasy truce with my mischievous goblin alter ego. He likes to sabotage my plans hide my stuff and steal my words off the tip of tongue.

A good deal of the time I outwit him with patience, humour and good grace. Other times I want to strangle the little blighter!

Too many folk are not aware and have a tendency to think they're stupid or useless as stupid and lazy people have labelled them.

Oops we may be getting into Rant of the Day territory!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)