Proprioception Can Anyone Relate

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aaron
Getting settled in

Proprioception Can Anyone Relate

Post by Aaron »

Hi all

Today I did some shopping at Lidl. As I often do I found it hard to navigate the aisles. I felt I had to work out where I was in relation to other shoppers and the shelves. I was nearly panicking trying to work out where to turn and stall or step backwards or how to combine and time all and which to do first to avoid bumping into others and their trollies. This made it more stressful to aim and reach out with my arms, open my hand hold on to groceries and aim to place it in the trolley. I was helping myself with breathing. It stressed me enough so that when I got home I felt it was an effort to aim arm and hand into shopping backs and place stuff on the shelf and in the fridge etc. This has got worse with having to wear masks. It is as if a mask increases my loss of sense of location??

Do any other people relate to this. I am diagnosed with Dyspraxia. I wonder how common it is with Dyspraxic folk.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Proprioception Can Anyone Relate

Post by Tom fod »

Aaron wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:35 pm Hi all

Today I did some shopping at Lidl. As I often do I found it hard to navigate the aisles. I felt I had to work out where I was in relation to other shoppers and the shelves. I was nearly panicking trying to work out where to turn and stall or step backwards or how to combine and time all and which to do first to avoid bumping into others and their trollies. This made it more stressful to aim and reach out with my arms, open my hand hold on to groceries and aim to place it in the trolley. I was helping myself with breathing. It stressed me enough so that when I got home I felt it was an effort to aim arm and hand into shopping backs and place stuff on the shelf and in the fridge etc. This has got worse with having to wear masks. It is as if a mask increases my loss of sense of location??

Do any other people relate to this. I am diagnosed with Dyspraxia. I wonder how common it is with Dyspraxic folk.
I believe every Dyspraxic /Neurodivergent person can relate on some level. I certainly can. Supermarket shopping in the age of Covid and social distancing has become more stressful/complicated. To be honest I believe at least half the problem can be other shoppers who are impatient, on their phone or trying to control their errant children. Face coverings are definitely distracting and can sometimes obscure our vision and no doubt interfere with Proprioception as they distract us. Having someone standing too close and 'breathing down your neck' waiting for you to pick up the item you want adds to the anxiety. I think we often feel rushed or like we have to do everything with a sense of urgency and that can lead to errors/accidents /disasters.

Asda where I live is Covidiot Central I like both Lidl and Aldi, though sometimes it feels like they operate on a slightly more urgent 'Get in. Get your stuff, Pay for it and get out so the next customer can come in' model (but don't they all? I usually confuse/annoy or upset the poor Digital Checkout touchscreen or vice versa, Still better than Tesco's (grrr!).
I'd say try to choose quieter times to visit, if you can, and take your time. Rushing or feeling rushed can really amp up the associated anxiety.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Aaron
Getting settled in

Post by Aaron »

Hi Tom thanks for your post. Yes it does seem as if a mask can have an effect on Proprioception.
When I first put on a mask and went to Lidl I thought this is strange, I have put on a mask but I can still see, hear and move my arms and legs but it seemed obvious it was having an effect. I have not rushed around the store but maybe will go at quieter times although it wasn’t very crowded except for the queues at the tills. :D
DDIGITALDNR
New member - welcome them!

Post by DDIGITALDNR »

I'm normally alright until I reach the checkout, I'm so grateful we have contactless payments these days as I really struggle with coins, change and even notes with my hands. I struggle to pack things at the speed they come down the belt. I must admit since my Dad had a stroke in 2019 and he no longer drives we do a lot of Online Supermarket Shopping for delivery and it's less stressful for me and since the pandemic my anxiety being around masses of people is even worse.
Aaron
Getting settled in

Post by Aaron »

Hi yes I struggle with coins and notes as well. I was good at maths while doing a degree but I once had a job serving alcohol etc and had to give it up because of taking money and giving back change. Sounds contradictory but with dyspraxia it isn’t. As well sometimes stuff comes down the belt far too fast so hard to pick up and pack. Causes a slight panic, some counter staff are far to efficient and fast and I want to ask them to go more slowly but I don’t lol! Maybe good for you then that you do your stuff online.