Routines are these types recognisable

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aaron
Getting settled in

Routines are these types recognisable

Post by Aaron »

From what I have been reading dyspraxic and autistic people can have repeated or unusual routines. I have a few. I get up every morning at 8.25 not 8.30 or 8.00 but 8.25. Yes 8.25?? and stick to it? Every day except Wednesday I brush my teeth in the morning and evening but Wednesday I brush in the morning but not in the evening. I have a break and do not brush my teeth. I stick to Wednesday evening. I asked myself why I do this and an image of a rectilinear grid came into my mind with boxes to represent time spots for morning afternoon and evening. the Wednesday evening box felt more free which gives me a break from teeth cleaning.

On Monday and Wednesday afternoon I eat biscuits, always the same biscuits and always five. For years I made exactly the same sandwiches for lunch. Bread with tahini and banana never changing. With my tahini sandwich lunch I ate a scone every other day. Eat one miss one and stuck to the pattern for a long time. Eventually I had a scone every day. Once they sold out of scones at the shop I got them from. I replaced a scone with tea biscuits exactly four each time. When my scones came back I checked the dimensions of the scone by laying four biscuits by its side to check I had been as close as possible to the dimensions of the scone. As well there was a brand of savoury biscuit I stuck to and would go out of town on the bus to get that one brand. It wasn’t tasty I just liked it. I can get a bit nervous if the packaging for the same product changes.

I go to Cafes several time a week. For ages the same cafe three times a week at the same time and day and I would always stay one and a half hours. This is even if I am free all day. I like the same seat sometimes a bit bothered if I don’t get it. I like the same seat with pubs.

As well I can get just a little bit nervous if my pen is not the same weight. Or am I just weird lol‼
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Routines are these types recognisable

Post by Tom fod »

For me that's far too regimented. However if that is what you need to remain happy and functioning and you can happily fit it in around any obligations and without caring what others think, then power to you.

When my alarm clock goes snooze gets hit several times unless I need the loo or specifically need to be somewhere. If anything I wish I could be a bit more regimented.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Aaron
Getting settled in

Post by Aaron »

Thanks
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Aaron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:10 pmThanks
You're welcome. even among us Neurodivergent folk there is loads of variation in how we present. and what we do to try to bring 'order' to our lives. Certainly see some lively date on social media about what is dyspraxia and it's just as much this is my Dyspraxia / ADHD /ASC and this is what I need to do for me to feel grounded and as content as possible in what can feel like an alien society.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)