In my Fifties, is it worth being diagnosed?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bobby jnr
New member - welcome them!

In my Fifties, is it worth being diagnosed?

Post by Bobby jnr »

Well I survived 50 years without being diagnosed with Dyspraxia. Just wondering is it worth getting diagnosed?

Dyspraxia has been diagnosed in the family.
I have the bouncy gait.
Spacial awareness problems
Clumsy, always walking into things, stubbing my toes, tripping over air
Often find when people are talking to me, I glaze over and can't take any information in.
I can be introduced to people band immediately forget there names.
Find problems making and keeping friends.
Lack motivation at times.
Have days when fatigued.

Do you think it's worth pursuing it with Gp?
What if any benefits of being diagnosed.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: In my Fifties, is it worth being diagnosed?

Post by Tom fod »

It depends very much on your own need. Are you content to self identify or do you need documented proof to vindicate your condition and/or compel employers to make reasonable adjustments to help level the playing field for you?

GPs don't always know much and/or have many options open to them when needing to refer adults for assessment. They may ask why now? What will it change? Or even try to dismiss the idea. Oh you can drive, you're reasonably successful there's not much we can offer if anything. It is depressing and maddening as a lot of people have struggled for years.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Bobby jnr

Post by Bobby jnr »

Sorry for the late reply.
I think I'd like it confirmed. So it would prove to people it's an actual condition and something that I can't help.
Iv struggled through school and life in general.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Rob

There are a couple of options. Ask your GP, he/she may surprise you. It's good to go in with points to help convey why you believe you may be affected and why having confirmation is important to you. If your GP is unable, or worse, seems unwilling to help and you have a progressive employer who has occupational health and/or disability / inclusion policies, they might be worth engaging.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Bobby jnr

Post by Bobby jnr »

Thanks for your advice 👍
GallusLass

Post by GallusLass »

I was diagnosed at 53 as per advice from my union shop steward re possible time and motion and car expense issues (I am an automatic driver and did not have access to an automatic pool car and the council was looking to cut back millions). My GP contacted someone who used to do the assessments but had stopped. I accessed a private OT and the assessment cost me over £700 at that time (9 years ago). On the plus side, my employer was then legally bound to equip me with the tools to do my job, could NOT discriminate by bullying (partially successful) or threaten my job security on the grounds of my difficulties. The result was that I stayed until I decided to leave. It's all relative to your particular circumstances.