New member - welcome them!

New member and feeling emotional

Post by Halle »

All my life

I have felt

Dumb

Stupid

Clumsy

Hated on myself for never being able to learn new skills, think, and remember information like everybody

Put myself down for years for my lack of time management, planning and personal organisation skills

Came cross Dyspraxia

Sounds like this is the challenges I've had all my life 34 years later

No idea where go from here

Or what to do for an assessment
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: New member and feeling emotional

Post by Tom fod »

Halle wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:42 pm All my life

I have felt

Dumb

Stupid

Clumsy

Hated on myself for never being able to learn new skills, think, and remember information like everybody

Put myself down for years for my lack of time management, planning and personal organisation skills

Came cross Dyspraxia

Sounds like this is the challenges I've had all my life 34 years later

No idea where go from here

Or what to do for an assessment

Hi Halle

Hi and Welcome . Glad you've found us!

As an adult getting professional confirmation can be a bit of a lottery as NHS and GPs so often are not resourced to know or have anywhere to refer you. Some will ask what difference will it make and I think for many having that professional confirmation is important to their own journey to acceptance as well as potentially needing it to help compel an employer to be more flexible and make reasonable adjustments. Another option that might be open to you, if your employer is forward leaning in regard to disability/neurodiversity and inclusivity is to see if they will fund an assessment. They may also be able to get help from the Government's Access to Work scheme.\

I was mid 30's when I found this group.

Please also check out
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... 29c5092b91
Last edited by Tom fod on Fri May 21, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Continuous improvement
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
BlueSky

Post by BlueSky »

Hiya - I've just joined the forum today.

I can't imagine how you must be feeling - it's so, so tough - but you aren't alone. You aren't stupid, dumb or clumsy. This is exactly how I felt as well, and I'm sure how pretty much everyone else with dyspraxia has felt at least at some point in their lives.

I'm not sure about getting an assessment as an adult but it sounds pretty bang on how I felt (I was assessed as a teenager) - but maybe it's just worth reading around the resources etc., that may be available to you. It also might be worth considering CBT or something similar to help you with how you feel towards yourself. Today could be the first day that you turn your internal story of yourself into something better.

Be kind to yourself during this process!
Louise33

Post by Louise33 »

Hello, you have just summed up my life. I only just learned of this too and it's so overwhelming and made me even more emotional than I already was. Having some sort of answer .. I can't even think of the right words but to what you said, yes, yes, and yes ..I am with you on all of these feelings
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi. I absolutely know and feel as you do. I am certain I am dyspraxic. I work with adults with learning disabilities and several years ago, attended a training course on Dyspraxia. I realised then and there that this was what I had struggled with all my life. I felt overwhelmed with emotion and It was hard to hold back the tears as everything suddenly was put into perspective. I am now in my late 50's and have been wondering for some time if it is worth getting an official diagnosis. Some people I have mentioned it to have asked why I would want to give my self a label, but I would rather be labelled 'Dyspraxic' than 'Stupid Clumsy Idiot'.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Wendy.

Welcome to the Forum Glad you've found us. I had a similar realisation on reading about dyspraxia and having a lightbulb moment in 2010. I also had sadness anger and denial.

Getting a formal diagnosis as an adult is a bit of a lottery but often the proof on paper from a professional is necessary to help us accept it. Some GPs cognisant of the lack of a diagnostic pathway will very often ask "What will it change?" in order to explain away that this an area where the NHS and they fall short in terms of being able to help people accept and move forwards.

Learning to be kind and accepting of ourselves, when some others are not, is so so important.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)