Dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

GeorgeSteven
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia

Post by GeorgeSteven »

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia, although I've had it my whole life it hasn't been formally recognized until now. I'm trying to find support groups in east Sussex and other similar things that would help me and ways to meet other people who also have dyspraxia. The main problem I'm having is all the support groups are focused on young children and are for parents/carers. I went to one just to see if it would be any use at all but just ended up feeling like a fool and even more disheartened than I had before. If anyone has any information that could help me I'd be very grateful.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

GeorgeSteven wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:09 am Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia, although I've had it my whole life it hasn't been formally recognised until now. I'm trying to find support groups in east Sussex and other similar things that would help me and ways to meet other people who also have dyspraxia. The main problem I'm having is all the support groups are focused on young children and are for parents/carers. I went to one just to see if it would be any use at all but just ended up feeling like a fool and even more disheartened than I had before. If anyone has any information that could help me I'd be very grateful.
Hi George

There is regrettably a dearth of groups dedicated to adults. The Pandemic hasn't helped. The Dyspraxia Foundation do try but they're sadly not a very big organisation and while they try to do what they can for adults (over 25) it never feels like enough and they unfortunately get a lot of flack. It's difficult to find good volunteers able to sustain the time and effort needed to create and maintain groups. I/We did try to engineer a meet up of people from this forum some years ago but coordination and fact that people would be travelling from opposite ends/sides of the country meant it regrettably didn't come to fruition.

There's a lot of people various initiatives on Social Media, working tirelessly to raise awareness in their own ways but because the community is really diverse it has always been quite fractious. Two or more Neuro divergent folk disagreeing fundamentally really can sometimes be a recipe for Fire and Fury.

Are you familiar /comfortable with Zoom?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)