Social relations

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Isee
New member - welcome them!

Social relations

Post by Isee »

Hello everyone, I wanted to write and talk about social relations with dyspraxia because I always had difficulties with communication/social interaction especially with friends(I’m a student). When I am in a conversation with a friend I talk in general about commonplace things like school or like what did you do last weekend, but when we talk about other unusual things I feel like I don’t know how to react or what to say and that happen really often. I have a group of friends in my high school but I feel like I’m far from them because of that. I feel different from others,It almost feel like I have no personality in my way of reacting and that make me sick and feel down sometimes .I don’t know if this is a dyspraxia thing or my personality, or the two of them but it sure doesn’t help.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Social relations

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Isle and Welcome

While not unique to dyspraxia lots of us struggle in this area.
It's OK to not or feel unable to comment on anything and everything, though it doesn't always sit easily. Therr's also always that feeling we somehow have to conform or we may at least feel we should.

If you react the wrong way you feel the reaction of others so may be more inclined to not say anything the next time. Some of us struggle with following group conversations and then when and what to say ourselves. Equally our words might have a tendency to come out wrong so we might become more withdrawn.

Our Dyspraxia does have an impact on who we are but shouldn't be seen as defining our whole. At least that's my feeling. You may feel differently and that's good too.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)