Questions / Advice

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ant26
New member - welcome them!

Questions / Advice

Post by Ant26 »

Hello everyone my name is Anthony is 28 I’m so glad I’ve found this group , anyways I was wondering if I could ask a few questions cause I’ve never had the chance of asking anyone before who’s had dyspraxia like myself . Firstly is there any activities anyone recommend to help with motor coordination? Secondly does anyone suffer really bad with their feet ? Because the last fees years they have got bad been in and out physio and podiatrist and I went on the dyspraxia uk website and it’s says on there that people can suffer with weaker muscles etc and standing for long time can hurt so I was if anyone else had the same problem and lastly does anyone have any advice about being in the work place or about trying to get a new job ? Thanks for anyone who replies 🙂
Katy456
Getting settled in

Re: Questions / Advice

Post by Katy456 »

Hi Anthony,

I do have other learning differences like ADHD and I'm slight dylexic. I'm the same never heard of this forum so was very happy yesterday reading through them and laughing a lot because I am very much the same. I don't have problem with feet but I have restless legs and when I'm stressed they get worse and I start to get tics like muscle spasms. I can drive and spacial awareness is ok but I can walk round a house and bang every leg on anything sticking out and I also catch the walls sometimes if I get up to fast and turn normally wall is straight there and I bang into it. Didn't have a diagnoses until 36 so really just thought I was clumsily, forgetful and actually thick but after testing scored a high IQ but have processing issues. Wasn't very well as a baby and was born early, had respiratory failure at 3 from pneumonia developed from coup. Had chest and ear infections after as a result all my childhood and when had respiratory failure I was on ventilator and suffered a hypoxic injury. I also starting working out with a personal trainer who knew everything, I now have a body of an 18 year old and feel so good, exercise is the key please speak to a PT, they will help
Ant26

Post by Ant26 »

Sorry to hear all that but I’m glad I your doing much better :) and yeah I go gym anyways but I’ll definitely look into it also was wondering if anyone knew any good hobbies / activities which help with dyspraxia
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Ant

Welcome

There's a huge variance in how and the degree to which people are affected and the success of their coping strategies. Some people do have other co-occurrinng conditions such as EDS. Eating and sleeping well and keeping fit is a good thing for anybody and I think it is equally important for ourselves, probably more so. As far as choosing hobbies activites, it needs to be something you're interested in, want to do and if a group activity it's important to find a coach and group who motivate you.

Similarly finding the right job and employer for you is not always an easy thing as it needs to be something that suits you. What are you currently doing/have you done/tried in the past and what sort of jobs are you looking at/applying for?

We have a fair number who work in the care sector and/or education but that doesn't suit everyone.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ant26

Post by Ant26 »

Thank you for advice take notes of all this and I work in retail for a while and had a horrid experience overall the job I’m in I’ve been discriminated cause of my dyspraxia/ autism and took it a far as I could but all it resulted in was a move to a different store so ever since I’ve been trying to get out , everything I’ve tired hasn’t work the jobs I apply for I don’t hear back I went to uni for a bit but it got to much because I had to declare I had dyspraxia and Autism and when I needed extra help I had to prove I had each time and 4 months they finally had we’re going to help but the stress got to much and I had to leave , I’ve been trying so hard to leave just frustrating and uphill battle and I think it comes to dyspraxia and autism and shouldn’t. Sorry for that long segment I need to get it if my chest and explain why aha
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Can completely understand your need to vent and that's where this forum is useful.

If you're open minded about the organisations, it might be worth seeing if either Scope or the Shaw Trust might be able offer some Job Hunting Help and support in your area/remotely.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Ant26

Post by Ant26 »

Thanks you I went with shaw trust with everything what went on in the past so i might enquire about scope thank you advice
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

If you haven't discovered it yet it may be worth taking a look at
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... 95fa4588b5
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Ant26

Post by Ant26 »

Thank you that’s really helpful going to get in contact with some of them on Monday . I know what I need to do is get a new job but easier said than done at them moment but thank you once again guys for being helpful