balance problems

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

balance problems

Post by ALADDIN »

Aged 9, I attended an assessment, there was evidence of balance problems. Is this evidence of perceptual organisation difficulties ?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: balance problems

Post by Tom fod »

ALADDIN wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:24 pm Aged 9, I attended an assessment, there was evidence of balance problems. Is this evidence of perceptual organisation difficulties ?

Balance is generally connected to your sense of how your body is orientated in space. Please could you clarify what you mean by perceptual organisation difficulties? What exercises or tasks were you asked to perform?

A quick Google suggests the term Perceptual Organisation is synonymous with Gestalt Psychology, which has since been questioned and has fallen into disrepute. Given this assessment was 30 years ago, you might need to find a baseline of how you are now. I appreciate trying to understand the past. and what it means is important to you but regrettably a lot of people will consider it irrelevant.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

Perceptual organisation is a psychological test in my dyspraxia diagnosis.

It is perception on distance, time, speed, touch, text, dimensions, audio, video, temperature,
etc.

It is kind of equivalent to non -verbal
IQ.

The test was standing on one foot !
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

To be far if I was asked to stand on one leg and try to interpret a visual puzzle or answer questions about a diagram or video I'd struggle without extensive practice.

Not sure the two are related (or even tested together as per my contrived example)

Interpreting information is something a lot of us struggle with to varying degrees. Equally judging time.

Thinking more clearly now
Judging distance or how we might perceive the depth of an object as we reach out to pick it up or to walk around/negotiate a barrier or tight space like a turnstile or step down on to a moving escalator without knocking ourselves or stumbling is maybe more into realm of balance and visual perception.

Explaining a concept or activity in words can be a challenge too. Therefore, I feel I should apologise in case you found the tone of my initial response was impatient/dismissive.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)